PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble weaning!! HELP

jubilee
03-09-2004, 01:37 AM
I am trying to wean from breastfeeding but DS won't cooperate! He basically refuses to bottlefeed or use the sippy cup if it has any formula in it or breastmilk. He will drink juice from sippys or bottles however. I am at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

Rachels
03-09-2004, 09:24 AM
You might pick up a copy of How Weaning Happens. I haven't read it, but it apparently has suggestions for gentle ways to encourage weaning. Why do you want to wean, though? I'm not asking to judge, but want to make sure you know it's fine to nurse past the first year if you and the baby want to. In fact, there are many benefits. It sounds as if your little one isn't ready to stop, so I just want to be sure you're not being pressured into something that's going to be upsetting for him.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ppshah
03-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Try regular cow's milk- it taste's better than formula. You're not really supposed to start it until they're one but you're amlost there and you could introduce it slowly.

Good luck!!

missym
03-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Julie,

It is expensive, but you could also try mixing vanilla Pediasure and cow's milk. Pediasure is really sweet, so might be closer to mommy's milk. It's also loaded with vitamins.

I feel for you, though. For months, Gwen got really offended when offered anything milk-like from a cup (forget bottles). We just kept at it, and it's going a little better now. It helps to feed her crackers first, so she's really thirsty. ;)

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

Karenn
03-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Colin was a little younger (maybe 9 months?) when this worked for him, but the way we got him to take EBM/Formula (can't remember which) was to have DH offer it when I was out of the house. I think he understood the primary source was gone and made do with what daddy had to offer.

Good luck!