PDA

View Full Version : Hardly taking formula bottle, gas, cranky...Help!

josephmama
03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
I am really stumped on this one and I'm hoping someone can help me. Last wed DS threw up at day care and had a 103 fever. The ped said he just caught something and to call if it got worse. Well, fever got better, he didn't throw up again, and we went out of town. But since then he has been really gassy, he's biting on anything he can find, he's taking VERY long naps, and he will get cranky (and he's never cranky). He used to take 7-8 oz of formula, even with cereal or baby food. Now he will take 3-4 oz and that's it. Yesterday he only took 22 oz total and his normal has been 35+. He'll often be squirmy while drinking, too. He will eat as much solids as I give him. I started giving him mylicon drops again and teething rings. What else do I do? I tried no solids and he still won't drink his normal amount. He also will not take apple juice in a bottle or anything in a sippy (but he's not used to a sippy). Is this teething? There's no drooling and he is sleeping 10 hours soundly plus really long naps. I plan to buy the size 4 Avent nipples tonight and try those since maybe it is teething and it's hurting to suck? But then why the gas? And sleeping MORE?

I'd welcome any insights! We're really confused at my house! :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't know what to tell you...there are times where we see more drinking activity than others. Tristan didn't drool much with teething and that could be what is going on...I'd check in with your ped and ask what they think.

I never...and don't give juice so don't know what to say about baby not taking that. If baby is eating solids could it be that he just doesn't feel he needs as much formula intake due to that...that would be my gut feeling...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

vikivoly
03-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Does he have a stuffy nose? If so he may be having a hard time breathing while sucking, this could also explain the gas.

It sounds like he may just have a belly ache. 22oz isn't bad. Is he wetting his diapers at least 6x per day?

josephmama
03-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I never give juice either, Neve- but thought I'd try it, thinking maybe he has started to hate the taste of formula. Kind of glad he didn't want it...

he has lots of wet diapers and yes he is stuffy. Hmmm, maybe that is why he's gassy! I have tried repeatedly to clean out his nose and nothing comes out! He sleeps with a humidifier, I use saline drops, I have his crib elevated. Any suggestions on how to un-stuff his nose? Maybe I need to break out the pediacare again.

I'm thinking he might also be coming off a growth spurt, too. And the next size nipple didn't make any difference.

Thanks, ladies!

vikivoly
03-10-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure what more you could do to get him un-stuffed. Don't be afraid to call your doctor for suggestions.

I think as long as he's taking at least 20 oz of formula he'll be ok for the time being. Maybe try giving him formula in a regular cup. With a sippy cup he still needs to suck the liquid out of the holes.

missliss55
03-10-2004, 02:29 PM
My dd had a little cold a couple weeks ago with a horrible stuffy nose. I swear she could not breathe out of it for over a week. We did humidifier (make sure you clean it regularly or it will just recycle all the germs---I was bad about that), sitting in the bathroom with the shower running (lots of steam) and bulb syringe (also can use saline drops to loosen mucus). I also found that b/c her feedings were not as good as normal that I needed to feed her more often. Eventually she came out of it.

She got over the cold and now we are teething again. Drooling everywhere, bitting on our hands and fingers and crying and moaning in her sleep. Tylenol has been a great help!

HTH.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

josephmama
03-11-2004, 09:51 AM
I tried the formula in a cup and he really liked that! Thanks for the tip, Vicki. So we might have to stick with that for a few days. He did do a little better with the bottle last night and this morning but still not great. I also made his cereal really runny with extra formula and he lapped it up. I'm so sneaky.

Melissa, I also tried the steam shower thing and it seemed to help slightly. I guess we'll just keep doing all of this the next few days. I gave him some pediacare for congestion, too. Cross your fingers we make some progress this weekend! Thanks ladies again! And good luck with Emma's teething. Just when you think you master one problem, along comes another....