PDA

View Full Version : HELP....need DD to take sippy cup...any ideas???

missliss55
03-09-2004, 05:59 PM
My dd is 10 1/2 months old and never took a bottle. Any techniques on getting her to take the sippy cup? DH tried the other night with EBM and she cried and wouldn't drink it (I wasn't home). Do we just need to keep practicing like that? It would be so nice if she could take a cup of EBM once in a while so I could have some mommy time with friends. Thanks!

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

missym
03-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi Melissa,

DD was equally stubborn about bottles. She will now take little drinks from a sippy cup, although not as much as I would like. We're still working on it. Here's what's worked so far for us:

1. Try a regular cup. Gwen at first rejected sippy cups but would drink from an adult glass.
2. Take the valve out so you can just pour some in her mouth. This does increase the messiness factor, especially when she decides she wants to play with the cup.
3. Try something besides EBM, like water or juice. Gwen objected to anything resembling milk, but took water fine. Since she's a year old, we're now working on cow's milk mixed with Pediasure.

I can completely sympathize; for us, it's just been a matter of persistence (and patience!).

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03