PDA

View Full Version : Not swallowing

hellokitty1
03-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Is/has anyone experienced this with their baby? Sydney is ten months now and started solids around five months. She's always been a decent eater but in the last month or so, she tends to hoard food, open wide at every spoonful offered, but won't swallow. I know other babies do it too but then what do you do as a parent? I've tried water but then she gags when she sucks the water out bc she's got too much food in her mouth. Tonight, she would not swallow and I gave up waiting but then I didn't want to ler her out of her high chair for fear she'd start walking around and choke or something. So I first took her tray off like I was about to let her out. But then I waited a few minutes and she finally swallowed sometime in between.

So is this just a phase? When will it end? And how do you convince your child they need to swallow?

Jeanne
03-09-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't have any answers for you but I can tell you that I have two friends who have both gone through this. Their kids stored food in their cheeks for hours and sometimes overnight! It was just a phase although it may take some time to pass.