PDA

View Full Version : Me AGAIN ? about first time feeding cereal

TraciG
03-09-2004, 11:29 PM
What do u know, nothing seems to go smoothly with us !!!!!!!!! How do u get the baby to open her mouth to eat the cereal ? I had to give some sips of bottle so I could get the spoon in after then she cries & then starts to scream, I didn't push it, not worth it,she's only 4 months, I just wonder is this happened to anyone else ??

Rachels
03-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Why are you offering cereal now? When she's ready, you won't have to do anything to "get" her to participate. Four months is very young, too young for a gassy baby to start solids. This might be helpful to you
(from http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html)

"Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
Baby can sit up well without support.
Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
Baby is ready and willing to chew.
Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth."

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
03-09-2004, 11:40 PM
If she isn't opening her mouth for the food, she's too young for solids. Wait at LEAST a month and at least two more months if you can stand it! I promise that if you wait until she's really ready, solids will not be a battle, but will be FUN! :)

The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't recommend starting solids until 6 months. If your ped is telling you differently they are giving you old, outdated advice!

HTH,

mharling
03-09-2004, 11:54 PM
You were very smart not to push it. Beth is right, if she's not opening her mouth, she's not ready for solids. Wait a while and try again. She may be ready, she may not. If you respect her and go at her pace, solids will be fun; I promise!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

pritchettzoo
03-10-2004, 12:48 AM
She's not ready. She'll open her mouth when she's ready.

If you want a good book on the subject, try Ellen Satter's Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense. I checked it out from the library and then bought it.

If people ask you why she's not on solids yet (as did my stepmother and every "old school" person we've been around), I tell them that the pediatrician told us to wait until at least 6 months to avoid diabetes, etc. (Which the ped did, BTW...) Then I vary between the mmmmmhmmmmm and the "You know how things change!" responses...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

deborah_r
03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
I totally agree with the other responses. Also, you've struggled with so much already, this is something that she does not really NEED yet, so why stress yourself out with it? Believe me, the solid foods can be stressful too, so just give yourself a break and keep working on the formula feeding and the sleeping.

If you are thinking she will sleep better, that is doubtful. I know some people swear by it, but most information I've seen says there is not a connection.

momma_boo
03-10-2004, 11:25 AM
You've gotten great advice. It seems like she is not ready for solids yet. I'd try again in a month or two.
Oh, there is no proof that eating solids helps them sleep (never happened with us!).

stillplayswithbarbies
03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
She's too young. If she is not opening her mouth she is not ready for solid foods.

Wait two months and try again.

Why do you want to give her cereal now?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

TraciG
03-10-2004, 03:48 PM
I am going to wait, we have other things to worry about instead of this for now !!!!!!!!