PDA

View Full Version : Soynut butter

bnme
03-10-2004, 09:27 AM
How does it taste? How is it different from pbutter (more protein?less fat/sugar?)? Is it sticky like peanut butter?

I am looking for alternative protein options for my non-meat eater and think I should try this. Is it appropriate for a 14 month old?

Thnx!

lfp2n
03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I just bought some after recs from Beth and Lori here. It looks like PB and has similar texture, I think it tastes better (but I don't like PB much!). I think it has higher fat and carb content than PB, I didn't notice the protein content. My DD liked it on toast and DH says he's switching too, although he probably doesn't need the extra fat!

HIH

Lucy (DD 3/03)

egoldber
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
It tastes similar to natural peanut butter, but a bit more bland. We use it as a peanut butter substitute, since we are avoiding peanuts and tree nuts until DD is 3. But we've been using it since DD was about 10-11 months old.

In fat and protein composition, it is similar to peanut butter.

In comparing the jar of soynut butter to the jar of natural PB I have at home, here are some stats (although this will var depending on the brands):

SB:
11g fat
7g protein
3g sugar
140g sodium

natural PB:
15g fat
8g protein
2g sugar
120g sodium

Momof3Labs
03-10-2004, 12:22 PM
We use it as a peanut butter substitute for Colin, on Beth's (and Sarah's) recommendation. Colin love it on a sandwich for lunch, with a bit of jelly to help everything go down (plain PB/SB sandwiches are soooo stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth!). Colin isn't a big meat eater, and this is one of our main sources of protein, along with eggs, milk and cheese.

It does taste different from peanut butter, but it isn't bad. And Colin's never tasted peanut butter, so he won't know the difference!

I feel that it is completely appropriate for a 14 month old!

etwahl
03-10-2004, 05:49 PM
i never considered soynut butter before! good idea.

i've avoided for myself and lauren ALL nuts, including soy and pine nuts. but i never looked into whether either were fine. she's had soy and had no problem (soy chicken nuggets) so i'm assuming soy nuts are fine too?

are pine nuts a tree nuts? any other nuts okay that aren't tree nuts?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

lfp2n
03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
maybe this is a dumb add-on to Tammys question but what is a soynut, is it the same as a soybean?

Lucy

egoldber
03-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I think its more like soy"nut" butter, making a play on peanut butter. Its roasted, ground soybeans. So if she's had soy, soynut butter would be fine.

And you gotta love the web: http://www.soynutbutter.com/

And while pine nuts are not tree nuts or peanuts (they are the seeds of pine trees), people who are allergic to nuts/peanuts may also be sensitive to pine nuts.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/nuts.htm#OTHER_NUT

etwahl
03-10-2004, 08:57 PM
i've seen soy nuts before. i honestly never really thought about what they were, but i guess i just assumed nuts. so was thinking that's what soynut butter was.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
03-10-2004, 09:08 PM
I think soy nuts are just roasted soy beans.

mattiew
03-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for bringing this up; I'd never heard of soynut butter! Can't wait to try it with my picky (i.e. likes crackers and toast) 15 month old.

Carrie