PDA

View Full Version : What brand of formula do you use?

littleme2
03-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi, I've just started formula this week because I just can't make enough for bottles as well as cereal twice a day. She will eat cereal only if it is mixed with breast milk. Picky little eater.

I started Good Start Supreme - the one with DHA. I noticed that a lot of people are using Similac advance and I guess I feel that just because it is more popular, I should be using it too. Sounds stupid, I know.

I know that it depends on the baby, but I was just wondering which brands are being used on this board and why.

Thanks.
DD 8/15/03

twinmama
03-10-2004, 04:02 PM
I use the Costco Kirkland brand formula for mixing with cereal. I use it because it's the cheapest and the smell doesn't make me gag (I can't stand the smell of almost every other formula out there). From what I've read, basically all formulas are the same, so it doesn't matter whether you use the store brand or the name brand. HTH.

--Lisa

nitaghei
03-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Formulas are very tightly regulated by the FDA, so there's very little nutritional difference between them. So if a cheaper one agrees with your baby, and she likes it, I wouldn't mess around with trying different things.

For cereal - have you tried mixing it with just water or applesauce? I hated using my very limited EBM for cereal, which may or may not be eaten. Initially that was the only way DS would have cereal. I gradually cut down the amount of EBM, and stepped up the water and applesauce (adult, unsweetened) over the space of 10 days or so. Just throwing out another option, if you'd prefer not use formula.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

dotgirl
03-10-2004, 05:16 PM
We use Enfamil with ARA & DHA, but not exactly by choice. We tried Similac Advance, but Riley couldn't handle it - it gave him gas and made him feel awful. (Our DD had that problem too.) He does fine with the Enfamil, and our doctor says that since we also feed him BM, we don't really need the ARA & DHA versions, but .. I don't want to change anything, even going to a different product by the same company, so we keep using this. *grin*

Mabster
03-10-2004, 07:38 PM
I've been using the Enfamil Lipil with DHA & ARA. I will admit, it's mostly because I had two samples of it and we liked it a lot so stuck with it. DH and I liked the idea of the DHA & ARA - don't know how much it's really needed but we figure better be safe than sorry!

I tried the Kirkland brand from Costco which is comparable to Enfamil. It is much cheaper, but we didn't like the consistancy of the powder and how it dissolved. We often boil water for our bottles, and it seems that the steam that comes out of the bottle often makes the powder clumpy and sticky on the scoop. It never seems to dissolve as nice as the Enfamil even when using boiling water. And we find it to be rather bubbly, even when we are very gentle when stirring/shaking the bottle. DD at first seemed to fuss with it but adjusted nicely. We feed her expressed breast milk but supplement with formula so it's not the majority of her diet.

Hope this helps.

momof3girls
03-10-2004, 10:17 PM
I know of a place to get Cozy Kids formula, in powder form for 57.00 for 6 cans. I like it because I am nursing and a 6 can shipment will last me about 2 months. Thank goodness dd will be one on the 25th. NO MORE FORMULA 4 ME should be my new user name. Haha

Kelly

Kieransmom
03-10-2004, 10:44 PM
If you have a BJ's Wholesale Club near you the Berkely and Jensen brand is very similar to Similac Advance but much cheaper. It has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. I do prefer the Enfamil Lipil powder consistency. It dissolves quickly without clumps. However if cost is an issue then I would go with one of the cheaper brands. They're all practically the same. You're just paying the bigger companies for their advertising and drug reps.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

Karenn
03-10-2004, 11:02 PM
We had good luck with Good Start. We used it because it was the only one he liked. :)

caleymama
03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
We used Good Start too. We were fine with Enfamil or Enfamil Lipil when supplementing, but when we switched to FF full time Good Start was the only one that didn't make DD constipated.

cuca_
03-11-2004, 09:22 AM
We use Good Start Supreme and have had no problem with it.

Carmen

amp
03-11-2004, 11:03 AM
We used Enfamil Lipil (w/ DHA & ARA) until DS was about 6 or 7 mths old. We've now switched to Target's Healthy Baby brand. It is the same (by the same company Wyeth) as Walmart's Parent's Choice brand. We use the DHA/ARA formula, but at this point I think we probably don't need to. I've just stuck w/ it since he's been using that kind since birth.

hobey
03-11-2004, 11:54 AM
We started with Similac Advanced but have now switched over to Costco's Kirkland brand and DS has been fine. We think both Similac and Kirkland are made by Abbot (based on info from other boards) but we've had no luck confirming that info so we decided to try the Kirkland to see if DS is OK with it.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

akc
03-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi - Does anyone remember how much the:
1) Target Healthy Baby brand is,
2) Walmart Parent's Choice brand is, and
3) BJ's Berkeley and Jenson brand is?
(I got prices for Costco Kirkland)

I'm trying to compare to Similac Advance (which is even more expensive than Enfamil Lipil), so the value size can? I should really make a chart of all these - I will if I can get some responses...

thx in advance!
Alexa

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-20-2004, 05:29 PM
...with no problems!!!!
Now they use to have it without the ARA/DHA and they swtiched back in August to carry this, that changed the price up to $17 vs $14. Tristan pretty much slet thru the night until the week they changed it and I have always wondered if it was slightly because of that additive...I'll never know and could just be a real coincindence.

I NEVER would have considered this brand if it was not for these boards and the rave this brand got way back when...

So glad that it worked, it saved us tons!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

tina-t
03-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Similac advance, is what we use. Ds can be sensitive to some foods so we never bothered changing to something different.

akc
03-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi there (Hi Neve, long time no posting! :)

I know that no one has time to do this, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the nutritional information for the Kirkland formula? They give them in nutrients/100 calories. I don't expect that you could go down the list on the can (it's pretty long), but maybe someone could take a digital photo of that section of the can and email it to me?

Same goes for the Target Healthy Baby with Aha/Dra if someone has that?

My problem is that Costco is about 20 miles from the city and we don't belong (belong to Sam's, not Costco), so I want to be sure before I haul myself and my two DD's all the way out there! We are much closer to a Walmart and Target.

I found a comparison for Parent's Choice (Walmart) with the FDA regulations, Enfamil Lipil, and Similac Advance: http://www.parentschoiceformula.com/compare.html Pretty interesting - you can see how close Enfamil Lipil and Similac Advance are. There are some differences btwn Parent's Choice, but not in the MAJOR nutrients. That's why I want to compare to Kirland's. I just really want her to be able to digest it easily - we've had no problems with Similac Advance (though we've only used it so I didn't know about Enfamil Lipil's better disolving), but need to save some $$$!

My email is [email protected] - Thanks!

Alexa

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I have no more cans or I would!!!!!
I wonder if a search in a search engine might reveal that...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

momof3girls
03-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I know of a MLM, that has formula reasonable. Its 59.00 for 6 cans of the powder + 5.75 shipping I believe. I have been getting mine through them for almost a year. By the way they are the big 1lb cans. Email me if you want some more info. [email protected]

hobey
03-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Just had DH take these since DS doesn't want to be put down.....Needless to say, he found the request kind of odd.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

akc
03-21-2004, 03:18 PM
You are a STAR! Actually, all of you are GODDESSES(+ DH superstar)! Amazing how I have two kids and am just now venturing into the private-label/generic world of baby items. (Typical. I'm the same way about food and store brand vs. my favorites!) In return, I will create a big chart with all this info and post it so folks can feel informed in the future to make these kind of decisions.

Meanwhile, here's what you guys have contributed to my life:

My new world:
Kirkland Signature with AHA/DRA
49 cents / oz for the 36 oz can

compared to my former life:
Similac Advance
84 cents / oz for the 30.8 oz can

By the way, I'm also in love with White Cloud diapers from Walmart. They are just as stretchy as Pampers Custom Fit Cruisers and I actually think there are little bit softer (when dry and wet) + been able to hold a lot more of a 20-month old diaper (had some spillage recently with the Pampers!) My husband did a study at his consulting firm (big-name firm, don't know why they were studying diapers!) and found them to be the best in quality and price. Save us about $10 per box of diapers! Yippee!

Thanks to all - I'll post the chart soon!
Alexa

akc
03-21-2004, 05:41 PM
OK, gals! Here it is (drumroll, please...):
A FULL COMPARISON OF THE DHA/ARA FORMULAS OUT THERE BY NUTRIENTS AND PRICE PER OUNCE (IN A PRETTY, COLORFUL HTML FORMAT!) I think I'll post it to the main board as well, b/c we should share with everyone. :)

And, the winner, actually winners are...at 47 cents per ounce:

Kirkland Signature with DHA / ARA (36 oz can)
AND
Parent's Choice w/a Blend of Lipids (31.7 oz can)

After that:
Enfamil Lipil at 74 cents/oz (38 oz can)
Similac Advance at 84 cents/oz (30.8 oz can)
Carnation Good Start at 88 cents/oz (25.7 oz can)

SO, this means if you want the least expensive generic, you can choose which you like better based on the nutritional information, how it mixes, how your baby reacts to it, etc. (NOTE: Wyeth, that makes Parent's Choice, also makes the product for Target, so you should compare the nutrients.)

In my case, I'm hard pressed to tell you what the slight difference in the nutrient levels will mean, but you'll see how close Kirkland is to Similac Advance and Enfamil Lipil. I'm off to Costco to get some Kirkland since we're down to one can of S. Advance!

Thanks to you all - Hope this helps!
Alexa

p.s. Can you tell I was in marketing and consulting in my pre-Mommy, pre-History-PhD candidate life!

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I never ever try to "convert" anyone...but have to say if you are on a campaign to save save save you might want to consider CDs...you sound so on the ball I think you'd be a champ with keeping up with them...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

akc
03-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Neve

You are a brave and organized soul. :)

I don't think I could ever deal with CDiapers, mostly b/c I still pinch up my face when dealing with poo (and imagine a 20-month old dirty diaper...ICK!) I know you're right though...would save a fortune. I BOW before you and Tristan's CDs...!!! :)

Lex

hobey
03-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Wow Alexa! You are awesome!

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

Jen in Chicago
03-22-2004, 11:08 AM
We do what they tell you many children can not handle, we mix brands. Daycare provides Similac, so Jude drinks "their" formula at daycare, and our Kirkland brand at night. We tried all Similac and he did not sleep any better, so we went back to the Kirkland. No issues!

Virginia Dad
03-22-2004, 11:53 AM
We use Similac Advance. DD just seemed to like it and it did her right, so we stuck with it. Amazon.com has deals now and again where the big can is $15.89 (or thereabout), with free shipping. I check the website periodically and when they have it, I order a bunch of cans. We just got a shipment of 10 (7 to our house, 3 to grandma's) and the expiration is 2006, so that is not an issue.

Dcclerk
03-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Alex, that is so impressive. We have to supplement a bottle or 2 a day and have always just gotten Infamil Lipil based upon virtually nothing. Thanks for helping us make an informed choice!

akc
03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi -

You sould like my hubby - always scanning for a deal + free shipping. We did that for a while but the only can that Amazon sells is the 25.7 oz can, so even at $15.89 or so, it was still $.61 / oz. Since DD is only formula fed and is only 6 weeks old, we've got a ways to go, hence the switch to a store-brand.

That's a great option for those using Similac Advance - and with a sale price and free shipping, it brings the cost down for sure!

Thx!
Alexa

hoffdna
03-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure about some other store brands, but I know that Walmart, Target, and BJs brands are all made by the same company. We have these three all nearby, so just went with the cheapest. Target's Healthy Baby formula is currently $16.89. DS seems pretty happy with it now, and for the last 4 months!

kijip
03-24-2004, 02:08 AM
There are only 5 infant formula makers:

Nestle (Carnation Good Start)
Wyeth (ALL store brands from Costco to Target to supermarkets)
Similac
Enfamil
Horizon (Only organic infant formula approved by FDA and only available on the west coast)

In my experience Enfamil mixes the best from the powder but to each their own. All are identical nutrition wise. You may find that your baby will take anything or that your baby only wants one brand. My son will drink anything but seems less happy with some. We pretty much just use Enfamil. Mostly because they have the sizes and types we like and they have good coupons. We only have 3 more months to go thank god....I plan to try to get him on milk right after he turns one year.

akc
03-24-2004, 06:19 AM
OK, gals -

I've compiled the chart for the formulas with iron (not DHA/ARA, not soy, not lactose free), but I didn't really get pricing info from anyone, so here's what I have so far. If you want me to establish the price/oz, send me info otherwise I'll leave it at this. PLEASE KNOW THAT I AM NOT TRYING TO BE SOME SNOTTY, FORMULA EXPERT - JUST FELT LIKE I WANTED TO BE FULLY INFORMED SINCE I HAVE TO FORMULA-FEED ONLY (AND ONCE I STARTED, MY CURIOUSITY GOT THE BETTER OF ME)

MY TAKE ON IT: Here's my guess at the order of expense.

1) Cheapest - Kirkland (Costco) and all Wyeth-Produced Store-brands (SEE LIST BELOW, incl. Wal*Mart Parent's Choice & Target's Healthy Baby) Best bargain - You are PROBABLY going to be able to find sales or coupons for the store-brand formulas where the Kirkland is usually a relatively stable price.

2) In order for brand-names (note: these can still go on sale, offer coupons, or be in warehouses, but they are STILL more expensive than the store-brands): Enfamil (ususally less than other brand-names and comes in largest cans), Similac, Good Start (in all comparisons has been a little more)

3) Horizon Organic is the only organic formula approved by the USDA that meets FDA requirements. It is only sold in CA, WA, and OR and is (not surprisingly) very expensive.

----------

NOW, I've really been elbow deep if formula research (and even called a few companies), so I thought I'd post my findings on the whole formula industry and the Department of Health (DOH) USDA categories. I've attached the DOH approved formula list which is great to see what is out there, who makes it, and how it's categorized. It is as of 12/03 (will probably appear tiny in your browser - just click on it to have it zoom in and will print in normal size).

1) I called the DOH on this one. All formulas ARE identical in that they meet USDA FDA standards for having certain nutritional elements and at least certain amounts of those elements.

2) Same conversation with the DOH. All formulas are NOT identical in their exact makeup of nutrients and other elements within. This can be varied by manufacturer (which you can see in the charts). As far as I can tell in my unofficial survey of all the Wyeth-produced formulas, those ARE identical.

3) I did want to clear up all the confusion around who manufactures what. PLEASE look at the attached chart if you are interested because it will help clear up all the confusion around this (even my lists of the Wyeth-produced store-brands hasn't been completely up-to-date):

Mead Johnson - Enfamil

Nestle - Good Start

Ross - Similac

CG Nutritionals - Kirkland Signature sold exclusively at Costco (NOTE: this is a div of Abbot, which is a division of Ross)

Wyeth - ALL other store-brand formulas (NOTE: Wyeth is also a division of Ross, but a different one than Abbot), including:

* Albertson’s Baby Basics with Iron
* Albertson’s Baby Basics Soy with Iron
* Albertson’s Baby Basics with Lipids
* Amway Kozy Kids with Iron
* Amway Kozy Kids Soy with Iron
* BJ’s with Lipids
* Babymil with Iron
* Babymil Soy with Iron
* Best Choice with Iron
* Best Choice Soy with Iron
* CVS with Iron
* CVS Soy with Iron
* Eckerd with Iron
* Finast with Iron
* Finast Soy with Iron
* Giant with Iron
* Giant Soy with Iron
* Good Sense with Iron
* Good Sense Soy with Iron
* H-E-B Baby with Iron
* H-E-B Baby with Lipids
* H-E-B Baby Soy with Iron
* Home Best with Iron
* Home Best with Lipids
* Home Best Soy with Iron
* Hy-Vee Mother’s Choice with Iron
* Hy-Vee Mother’s Choice Soy with Iron
* Kroger Comforts with Iron
* Kroger Comforts with Lipids
* Kroger Comforts Soy with Iron
* Meijer with Iron
* Meijer Soy Protein with Iron
* Nash Finch with Iron
* Nash Finch Soy with Iron
* Pathmark with Iron
* Pathmark Soy with Iron
* Perfect Choice with Iron
* Perfect Choice Soy with Iron
* Price Chopper with Iron
* Price Chopper Soy with Iron
* Rite Aid with Iron
* Rite Aid Soy with Iron
* Safeway SELECT with Iron
* Safeway SELECT Soy with Iron
* Stop & Shop with Iron
* Stop & Shop Soy with Iron
* Super G with Iron
* Super G Soy with Iron
* Target Healthy Baby with Iron
* Target Healthy Baby Soy with Iron
* Target Healthy Baby with Lipids
* Top Care with Iron
* Top Care Soy with Iron
* Wal-Mart Parent’s Choice with Iron
* Wal-Mart Parent’s Choice Soy with Iron
* Wal-Mart Parent’s Choice with Lipids
* Wal-Mart Parent’s Choice Lactose Free with Iron
* Walgreens with Iron
* Walgreens Soy with Iron
* Walgreens with Lipids
* Wegman’s with Iron
* Wegman’s Soy with Iron
* Wegman’s with Lipids
* Weis Markets with Iron
* Western Family with Iron
* Western Family Soy with Iron

OK - Attached:
- chart of the regular formulas with iron, minus info on Kirkland's (if you've got it, send it to me) and the analysis of cost/oz (same deal - if you get it at a warehouse or find same price, email me or post)
- Department of Health list of formulas (will probably appear tiny in your browser - just click on it to have it zoom in and will print in normal size).

Hope this helps everybody. I suppose I should post this to the larger board, but I'll just put it here for now.

Alexa

JElaineB
03-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Wow, you've certainly done a lot of work on this! :) I just have a comment on pricing, since you haven't gotten many responses on it. I don't know that a list of pricing would be extremely helpful anyway, because I have found it varies greatly from store to store and region to region. When DS was on formula, it was actually cheaper for me to buy Enfamil ready-to-feed quarts from Toys R Us than to buy powder from any place else (including Wal-mart, Target, etc.)! I could have bought the powder cheaper at Toys R Us, but the RTF was so cheap, and we were having water quality issues at the time, so I didn't. However, I have been to Toys R Us where my mother lives in a different part of the country and there is nothing special about their formula prices, so it definitely varies from place to place. I made my own spreadsheet when I first started formula feeding. I compared the price of all the different Enfamil with Iron (what we chose to feed) from different local stores, based on the liquid ounces that a particular can would make. I think people probably just need to shop around in their own area to find the best price, you never know where you may find it.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

akc
03-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Blendability?

Hi - I'm on the asking side again. I'm definitely changing from the Similac Advance, and I'm wavering between choosing:
the Kirkland Signature w/DHA and ARA
OR
the Wyeth- Wal*Mart Parent's Choice w/Lipids or Target's Healthy Baby w/Lipids (since they are the same!)
Part of that is b/c we don't have a membership to Costco (we do to Sam's) and Target and Walmart are closer.

My question is on the "blendability" of those 3? I did notice that Enfamil Lipil is WAY more blendable (just finer grained powder) than Similac Advance. Are any of those 3 more like the Enfamil? If no, has anyone tried those 3 and which did you find to be most blendable?

The good news is we're coming off of Similac Advance which most people find to be the MOST clumpy, so it should be better no matter what.

Thanks!
Alexa