PDA

View Full Version : Milk blister??......Plugged duct.... Maybe TMI?

jerseygirl07067
03-11-2004, 11:25 AM
I just wanted to share my experience yesterday. All was going okay with BF, but DD had a cold the week before and seemed to be eating less. Then I got sick this week but am better now. Yesterday the whole top of my left breast hardened within a matter of a few hours , almost like there were a bunch of plugged ducts. I attacked the problem pretty aggessively, using heat, pump, and the baby to try to suck out the plugs. After a few hours of trying this, I was starting to freak out, as it was not working. (When I had plugs before I managed to unplug then with the above). The other thing that threw me was that the hardened area was not tender the way a plug usually is.

I even skipped my softball game so I could stay home and try to work the plug out ( I was pretty PO'd about that one! - that would be a new excuse for missing a game if I ever heard one! DH just told everyone I was having a bad day...)

Anyway, I looked down at my nipple and noticed a small white spot. It didn't really look like a blister but I'm not sure. Since after several hours I was pretty desperate, I tried to touch/scratch it with a clean fingernail. It seemed a bit hard. So then I sterilized a pair of tweezers, got a hold of it and pulled gently. I am not sure what I did, but resumed pumping and all of the sudden a new "stream" was there that was not there before. Suffice to say, I was unplugged within 10 minutes and my boob was soft again!!

Any experiences with this type of thing?? I'm guessing I had hardened milk right at the opening.

Sorry if this was TMI,
Mary

JenCA
03-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Sounds like it was a plugged duct. I very clearly remember that whenever I had a plugged duct, there was always a small white spot on my nipple--and if I could get that white spot to "pop", the clog would go away. I remember having a plugged duct that I could not nurse, pump, or massage away, and out of desperation, I squeezed that white spot--and a stream of milk shot out like water from a firehose. DH watched the above mentioned scene in horrified fascination, and frankly, it freaked me out, too! Anyway...long story short, yeah, I think you had a plugged duct, but you fixed it before it became painful. :)

wagner36
03-11-2004, 09:39 PM
I've had a recurring milk blister/bleb type thing for a few weeks now - it's driving me crazy. Anyway, mine has been pretty similar to what you described, but it keeps recurring. I finally had to trim off the extra skin which was forming over the coagulated milk with a tiny scissors. That seems to have worked.

Anyway, you may just have had a plugged duct, but if it starts to come back, there may be a little extra skin there that you have to trim off to avoid the 3 week ordeal that I've had.

I used mine as an excuse to go out with DH's annoying friends - but he actually TOLD them why - how embarressing!!

Good luck!
Tara