PDA

View Full Version : Tiffany Plate & Mug

Raidra
03-11-2004, 01:17 PM
I don't quite know what to do with this.. a friend of ours gave us a $75 Tiffany baby plate and mug. Would you feed your babies with this stuff, or display it? How would you display it, if you didn't want to actually use it?

This seems like the biggest waste of money.. but it's not in its original packaging so I doubt I can return it.. besides, what would I buy at Tiffany's? I'm not a big jewelry person.. :)

nitaghei
03-11-2004, 02:19 PM
If you can return it, how about a silver teething ring? For some reason cold silver is the preferred teething toy in our house. DS ignores all the rubber teething toys he has. Alternatively - a silver spoon? At least you could use it.

Have to agree - the Tiffany's children's dishes are on the top of my list of "What were they thinking?" Especially now that DS likes to throw bowls and cups off his high chair to announce that he's done! :)

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

etwahl
03-11-2004, 02:52 PM
i agree about the teething ring. my dd loved the one her daddy bought her, but i could never imagine using a dish set.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

sadie427
03-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I think I heard they have a particularly good return policy there. Might be worth a try. How about a small silver frame for a baby picture?

jbowman
03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't mean to be the voice of dissent, but is there a chance that the friend who gave you this gift would be offended if he/she knew you returned it? You could keep the place setting and use it for special occasions when your baby is older (holidays, etc) and give the plate and mug to your child as a commemorative when he or she is older. IMHO it's kind of neat to have those commemoratives (whether they are practical or not, someone cared enough to give it). Just my opinion!

aguinn
03-11-2004, 05:42 PM
i got the same thing! ours has zoo animals on it, or maybe noah's ark? don't remember... i took it out of the box, oooo'ed and ahhhh'ed and then promptly put it back in the wrapping and boxed it back up so that it wouldn't break. i have no idea what to do with it either, and yes, seems like a big waste of money when DS probably won't appreciate it later in life. i have no intentions of feeding him off of it, since i can't determine what is in the paint (could be lead? who knows). now that i'm thinking about it, maybe i'll take it out and display it in our diningroom cabinet...?

;)amy

CarolynRS1
03-11-2004, 05:50 PM
I got a very expensive baby dish & cup set from my aunt for my first baby. I love it. I display it in our china cabinet next to the silver monogramed cup that someone else gave us for DD (as well as an ivory and silver teether).

It's something that can be passed on to your child someday (and eventually to their child). I consider it a very special gift. There will come a day when your more useful baby items won't have any more use for you anymore. This may seem useless now, but it is something that will last forever if you take care of it. It's the Tiffiny Baby China set that was around the year of your baby's birth. It's unique and will likely appreciate in value with time.

Raidra
03-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Ours has bears and the alphabet.. it is actually kind of cute. I just don't know how I'd display it.. it doesn't match the theme of the nursery, and we don't have anywhere in the dining room to display it (too small of a room for a china cabinet). I suppose I'll probably just end up keeping it in a box in the attic.. to return it, I'd have to go into Boston and that's too much of an effort for me now. ;)

shishamo
03-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I know I will be a minority here, but a good friend of mine have a baby set (actually, 2 sets) from Tiffany and she uses them everyday, once or twice. Her kids are 3 and 1. At first, I was *shocked* to hear that, but she calmly explained to me that she always gave them ceramic plates (started with a cheaper one), and just keep an eye when they are very young.
After I heard that, I received 2 sets of fairly fancy plate/mug set (not as fancy probably $30 each?) for my kids, 4 and 1. I started to use them, and surprise! My kids like them better. Ceramics are heavier so mugs don't tip easily and plates don't move around as much. I started to use them when my youngest was about 15 months or so, and she never tried to throw them, maybe because they are heavier it's much harder than plastic one to fling around?

Also, plastic ones do get scratched up and needs to be replaced more frequently, obviously.