PDA

View Full Version : eating 2x/day - what should poop look like?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
So we've been eating 2 meals of solids per day, but DS still seems to have trouble pushing out the poops. They're "formed", but not terribly "stiff". He grunts a lot.

It's so hard, because all of the stage 2 mixed fruits have apples or bananas as the first ingredient.

Is this normal poop consistency? Maybe he just needs to get used to pushing out a "solid" poop?

TIA!
PS: I've been pushing the prunes - I think he's sick of them!

--Jennifer

duein june2003
03-11-2004, 07:41 PM
I don't know what the poop should look like, but my ds is 9 months old and he's on a prescription to help with his constipation- it is called lactulose... This is the last step after eliminating rice cereal and bananas from his diet. We also tried those little pyramids you stikc up his tush. Our ped. told us the right consistency of the poop (isn't this a pleasant topic to talk with someone you don't even know!!) should be like tooth paste. Cole grunts and his face turns red, but the poop comes out like the doc. wants it to! I also mix in prune juice with his oatmeal in the morning. I also try to get him (pretty unsuccessfully) to take sips of my water throughout the day. Good luck!

Ruth, Mom to Cole 5/21/03

houseof3boys
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Ryan is at 3 meals a day now, but the poop is the same as 2 meals a day. It is not formed like pebbles or solid, but just like really thick brownie batter. That sounds so gross but it is accurate! He goes almost everyday now and I add prune juice to his morning cereal to make sure that he does go everyday. I notice when he doesn't, he is in pain and doesn't sleep well and makes those poop pushing faces all day like he is in pain. :-( I don't do jarred fruits, but I would go easy on the bananas and apples since those are going to cause constipation. Why not steam up some pears and puree them? Those are Ryan's fav and one pear makes around 5 servings in an ice cube tray.

KGoes
03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
DD eats a veggie and a fruit (lately it's been apples) 2x/day, and we have the "batter" consistency.

Kelley
DD born 7/03

wendmatt
03-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I think as long as it's not hard and dry/pebbly it is OK. DD suffers from constipation regularly, sometimes she has rabbit pellets (not good) sometimes (on a really good day)it's smushy, then we say "hooray, emmy made poopies!" My friends think I'm crazy coz they're turning up their noses when their babies go poopies! It's normal to strain, especially if they are still laying down (not standing or squatting as they do when they get older) just not pellets.