PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone skip the sippy cup?

pritchettzoo
03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
We're looking at starting solids soon, and I was wondering if anyone used a regular cup instead of a sippy. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

KMommie
03-11-2004, 10:44 PM
We skipped the sippy cup. :) We got Kiki a couple of small tupperware cups for mealtimes. It was a little messy at first, and we help her hold the cup. But she just has water, no juice yet, so it's easy enough to dry her off. I didn't see the need for a sippy. I felt like it taught her that she could tip the cup back too far, and that she didn't have to pay attention to the level of liquid in the cup.

For on the go, we use a rubbermaid drink thingy with the straw attachment. I don't know why, but it lists as for ages 3 and up. Kiki loves drinking out of a straw! We got this one that's in the shape of a bear. It's just the right size for Kiki to hold on her own, and she can't squeeze the water out. Although, if we put milk or juice in there it'd be a PITA to clean---all the crevices for the bear shape. In restaurants, we order her a to-go cup of ice water, and she loves it, keeps her occupied for the entire meal.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

westchicagomom
03-11-2004, 10:49 PM
I was just thinking the exact same thing as I was tryng to figure out how to take the darn Avent sippy cup top apart to put in the dishwasher!

Pam
Mom to Lilabeth (9/03)

mik8
03-12-2004, 01:23 AM
We skipped it. Spoke to all 3 pediatricians in the practice where my DD goes and they all recommended using the cup straight. I thought that was almost impossible and for a while it was kind of crazy idea thinking, "how the heck am I supposed to do this?." Well, since all the cups I see in store (Avent, Gerber, Playtex, etc...) are way too deep or big for DD even though with my assistance of course, I decided to use the clear lid/cover of her Avent sippy cups as her cup and the first 2-3 tries she just sort of tasted the water with her lips. After the 3rd or 4th try, she learned to drink and swallow from it. She doesn't need to drink too much water nor juice yet anyways at this point and it's mainly for practice since I follow her meals later with milk.

caleymama
03-12-2004, 08:30 AM
We didn't skip it, but kept it to a minimum. For mealtime, DD has used the Tupperware style cups with the clear lids (hers are by The First Years). They're not spill proof. For out and about we have used sippies (either the straw type or Gerber ones) simply for the spill-proofness of them while on the go. She pretty much only has water when we're out unless it's a mealtime, which is rare for us to be out for, so the straw style ones have been great.

We've recently started with a regular cup and DD mastered it on the second try and for meals that's all we've been using now. The first try was a couple of months ago and while she understood what to do it was very messy and I decided to try again in a few weeks. I found some small clear plastic cups at Walmart that have been perfect - a set of 2 for $0.50! They look sort of like diner cups - with vertical ridges. They're only about 3 or 4 inches tall and they're narrow so she's able to grasp it fine. Since they're clear she can see what she's doing. Just this morning I tried one of the colored cups she usually uses, but w/o the lid and she did fine.

Good luck!

713abc
03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
We are doing both - sippy cup and regular cup. Per the suggestion of someone on this board (though I don't remember who) I bought the Take N Toss sippy cups and the Take N Toss snack cups. The snack cups are a perfect size for him to practice sipping out of a "regular" cup, though I only pour water in it and just one sip at a time. He does get wet doing this, because while sometimes he gets it in his mouth, sometimes he misses or plays with it. He really enjoys it, though.

At day care and at home when we don't want him to get wet, we use the same snack cup with the top of the sippy cup (this makes a much smaller cup for him than if we used the bottom of the sippy cup).

We've tried the playtex straw cup but he isn't interested in that right now.

:) Mom to Max, 05/28/03

shishamo
03-12-2004, 02:20 PM
I skipped them, and started with straw cups (rubbermaid) when on the go, at home I used very small glass (we used Duralex, very durable glass used in French cafes, it has been dropped a few times but haven't broke). I found that small glass is the easiest to use since plastic cups tips so easily when self feeding and it was easier for me to be able to see through the glass when I was holding it for her.

shishamo
03-12-2004, 02:20 PM
I skipped them, and started with straw cups (rubbermaid) when on the go, at home I used very small glass (we used Duralex, very durable glass used in French cafes, it has been dropped a few times but haven't broke). I found that small glass is the easiest to use since plastic cups tips so easily when self feeding and it was easier for me to be able to see through the glass when I was holding it for her.

tinkerbell1217
03-12-2004, 03:42 PM
I tried a sippy cup with my DD, but after two or three days we trashed it! She did fine with a regular cup from then on. Of course, there were some messes every now and then, but I also helped her alot inb the beginning. My DS was a different story! The sippy cup was his BEST friend! And, getting it away from him took close to 6 months!

Kelly

amp
03-12-2004, 04:01 PM
We hardly ever use a sippy cup and DS is not very good at using it. He always wanted our glass anyway, so he's learning very well to sip from a regular cup. He does drool it out a lot, but he's getting better. He doesn't yet hold it himself, but I suppose that will come with time. I figure he has to learn to use that kind of cup eventually, so why not just learn on it?!