PDA

View Full Version : Can Water in Avent Bottles be Microwaved?

berob
03-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Our 16 week old son, whom we have just weaned from the breast to a bottle, prefers his formula luke warm. We use Avent bottles, and I'm just wondering if it is ok to microwave the water in the bottle prior to adding the formula. In other words, is the bottle microwave safe or approved? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

DDowning
03-12-2004, 07:45 PM
I'll preface this to say that I've always read that its not recommended that you use a microwave to heat your bottle - the liquid is heating from the inside out and some patches of heat could burn the babies mouth.

That being said, I use Avent bottles and have microwaved the water first before adding formula several times. The key is to know your microwave power's strength. I know, based on my own microwave, that if I want to warm 4 oz of water, I select 30 seconds; for 6 oz, 45 seconds; and for 8 oz, I use 55 seconds. Once you add the formula and shake it up, the heat is distributed evenly and I've never had a problem.

ETA: I just warm the bottle itself in the microwave - not the cap and the nipple.

HTH!

MamaParis
03-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Avent bottles are microwave safe - In fact, they sell a microwave sterilizer for the bottles!

When we were using bottles, I would usually just use warm tap water and then add the formula ... but if we were not home or I had already had some prepared, I would use the microwave to heat the bottle up (nipples included) ... but just like the other poster pointed out - make sure you shake or move the bottle around a bit before testing it and giving it to your baby - movng the water around gets rid of hotspots - if any - and distributes them. I have been told that this was fine to do, but my DDs pediatrician, and by a bunch of other "baby" people ... they say that the warning not to heat in the microwave is there because of people not shaking the water up afterward to get rid of the hotspots and just giving their baby scalding hot milk without testing it properly.

Good Luck