PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this BF behavior before?

divabell
03-13-2004, 04:21 PM
This week DS has been really fussy/colicky in the afternoon and evening, which is new behavior for him. Sometimes during the same times of day, while he's nursing he breaks off and immediately starts screaming. I usually can calm him down and get him to continue eating, but I've never seen him do this before. Anyone know what might be going on? We had him at the ped yesterday and she thought he might have a virus (he's had a slight fever off and on this week) but she didn't have any suggestions about this nursing issue. Thanks!

bluej
03-13-2004, 04:33 PM
I was going to guess ear infection, but since you had him at the ped, I'm guessing that was ruled out. Sorry, I don't have any other ideas.

toomanystrollers
03-13-2004, 04:37 PM
FWIW, Neve does the same thing - usually gas, combined with teeth, and introducing new foods.

He very well could be getting some teeth (slight temp, fussy). Shea cut teeth right at 4 months. Or take a look at your diet - anything different or in large amounts (for me, it would be chocolate chip cookies :) )

HTH

divabell
03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
I've been afraid of the teething thing... he's definitely got the drooling and hand-chewing going on. The ped did rule out an ear infection but she thought teething was possible--I didn't know if this BF behavior could be another sign.

We'll keep an eye out for teeth, I guess! :)

Chelsey333
03-13-2004, 07:54 PM
My ds used to pull on and off sometimes while crying/fussy, and he ended up being diagnosed with acid reflux. But it is hard for them to diagnose acid reflux, without putting the baby thru some uncomfortable tests. You might want to look into that, see if you notice any other symptoms.

Rachels
03-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Do keep an eye out for reflux. The stuff you describe was Abby's first symptom beyond sudden, worsening nightwaking. You might also try the Boiron Cocyntal (for colic) or Camilia (for teething) a few minutes before you nurse. Both are really helpful.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JenCA
03-14-2004, 01:07 AM
I don't believe that what you're describing is colic. Colic is considered to be a daily period of incosolable crying that lasts for at least three hours or more. Many people use the terms "fussy" and "colicky" interchangeably, when they are really two very different things. I'm only telling you this because I survived ten weeks of diagnosed colic (screaming from 11pm to 3AM every single night of those very long ten weeks) with my DD. ;)

What you're describing could most definitely be the beginning of teething. If you can, try to take a look at his gums (particularly the lower gum--most babies pop their two lower incisors first)--if the gum looks red and swollen, his little teeth might be getting ready to pop through.

miki
03-14-2004, 06:52 PM
This happened with us right before my little one got 2 teeth at once. She was fussy with nursing about 2 weeks before I actually saw swollen gums and 3 weeks before I saw the teeth. I gave her room temp EBM for a couple of days and she ate much better.

HallsofVA
03-15-2004, 04:48 PM
My 8-week old DS has also been fussing during some BF sessions for the past two weeks. I was worried, but it wasn't with every session, and he's in good health (confirmed by the ped. today.) He'll eat, then pull off and cry, and then latch back on with vigor, sometimes pulling his head (and my breast) back. The only thing I can equate it to is the change in his digestive system, as he transitions to less frequent poops. I think he got so used to pooping with every feeding, that he still tries to do it even when he doesn't really need to go.

For what it's worth, I got some peace of mind after reading a FAQ on the kellymom site that said some babies get fussing while feeding between 6 and 8 weeks. They also suggested it could be a number of things, such as loss of latch, milk too fast, milk too slow, transition between fore milk and hind milk, etc. I know your DS is a bit older than that, but it made me feel better.

divabell
03-15-2004, 10:52 PM
You have my admiration!! We had one day of three hours of crying and I don't know how parents of colicky babies do it. Sorry for the misstatement. I didn't mean to say DS has colic--I'd say that he'd been more than fussy and less than colicky--at least an hour of crying at least once a day for a week. But actually, he was in better spirits today, and he seems a little calmer while feeding. I don't see any signs of teeth yet so maybe it was just a virus... who knows??

divabell
03-15-2004, 10:55 PM
I hadn't thought of reflux. Yikes. He's not really waking up at night--just having trouble sleeping during the day (today was better, though). I'm still wondering about dairy allergies. (As you know, Rachel...) I was off dairy for a while but the ped didn't think it was making any difference. So I'm back on it now and have been for about three weeks. I didn't notice any difference until we traveled, and DS's behavior changed as soon as we got back (one week ago today). Could it be that the dairy takes a while to affect him, just like it takes a while to clear his system when I've gone off of it?

JenCA
03-17-2004, 03:18 AM
Oh, no need to apologize! I just wanted to ease any fears you might have had, thinking that your DS had colic. I am glad to hear that he's in better spirits! It's so hard when they're so little and can't tell us what's wrong. I hope he keeps up the good mood! :)