PDA

View Full Version : Any bottle suggestions for acid reflux?

PattiB
03-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi - I'm not sure what to do for my DD - she's 11-1/2 weeks old and has a terrible time feeding (she's bottle fed). We've used Dr. Brown's bottles exclusively b/c it was recommended by the book and several parents. Lately she won't take more than 4 ounces at a time, and that's if I literally force her to take it. After 1 or 2 ounces, I take a burping break (she spits up a lot), and then she'll arch her back, scream, twist, cry, etc., when I try to feed her again. Eventually after forcing her to take more, she'll feed hungrily so I know she's hungry but obviously in pain. She eats about 22 ounces a day which at almost 12 weeks seems like not enough. Her dr. wasn't concerned b/c she's gaining weight and has enough wet diapers. But each feeding is a nightmare b/c of her obvious pain and resistance!! Has anyone had similar problems and found a solution? We've tried all the typical solutions for spitting up like having her sleep on an incline, burping often, feeding her upright, and keeping her upright 15-20 minutes after feeding. I know she'd sleep through the night too if she had more at each feeding, b/c she's a good sleeper, but she has to get up once in the night since she doesn't get enough during the day. I thought Dr. Brown's would be best but at this point I'm willing to try another bottle and/or nipple if anyone has any advice for this first-time frustrated mom!!!

THank you!!!
Patti

Chelsey333
03-13-2004, 07:48 PM
I feel your pain! My son had acid reflux also, and bottle feedings were a nightmare. I nursed for 4 mos, but also bottle fed bec I was working part-time in the beginning. He cried thru half of his bottle, it was just awful. I used to get jealous of seeing moms feed their baby with a bottle and seeing a content baby sucking down a bottle. I hated feeding him bottles in public bec he would get so upset during a feeding. We put him on Zantec and that seemed to help, but definitely did not resolve it. We tried a ton of different bottles, nipples, and formula. The one that worked the best for me was Avent bottles and Isomil Soy forumula - but I still had trouble during certain feedings. By 11 mos. I took him off the formula and started giving him milk, bec he was so miserable taking the bottle. Wish I could help more. Once he was on milk, we never had the problem again. I stopped giving him Zantec shortly after his first bday. Good luck!

jbowman
03-13-2004, 09:55 PM
My daughter has acid reflux, so I feel your pain! I BF, but she does take a few bottles of EBM each week and we use Avent bottles. They work really well for us. Perhaps the problem, though, isn't the bottles. I would talk to your ped. We give my daughter a tiny amount of Prevacid each night and it has helped a lot. HTH!

robmab719
03-14-2004, 10:50 PM
I would definitely ask your ped about trying a different formula. My 2-month old DD was throwing fits during feedings similar to the ones you described, and my ped suggested trying a lactose-free formula. Well, we switched and now she does great. Once in a while, she fusses when I stop to burp her, but usually she is calm. And I don't hear nearly as much gas being passed. Plus, she is now sleeping 8-9 hours at night as opposed to waking up every 4 hours.

P.S. We use Avent bottles, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.