PDA

View Full Version : We were lazy with bottle, now DS won't take it...HELP

jec2
03-14-2004, 01:59 PM
I know there have been threads about this before but I come up empty handed in my searches. So, please help. I need a break! What can we do to get our DS to take a bottle again? The last time he effectively drank a bottle was the end of January but even then we encountered a lot of protest. Since we were stuck in LA traffic he had no choice, however. But I just need to get a break from this. I've gotten him to drink a little bit here and there from one but when DH tries, he screams his little head off and then I wind up taking the boob out just to give us some peace. So, please, any suggestions are welcomed. TIA.

caleymama
03-14-2004, 02:44 PM
I can't offer much advice about the bottle because DD took one starting at 9 wks. when I went back to work. One thing I have seen others mention is for you to not be nearby when DH is offering the bottle.

Based on the age of your DS, though, I would suggest trying a sippy cup instead. The Avent ones have a white spout that is made for 4 mos+ I think. You could try it without the valve since the liquid will just pour into his mouth and then once he gets the hang of it put the valve in. Or maybe a really small cup? Gerber also makes a 2 handled sippy with a soft spout - again, we started w/o the valve just to help her understand what was going to happen.

Hopefully others will have some good tips for you. I hope the situation improves soon.

kijip
03-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Try leaving the house for an hour or so while your husband or another caregiver tries to give him the bottle. Not having the breast option nearby can make a world of difference. And it makes it easier for you since you won't be right there.