PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for solids!

todzwife
03-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Ok- We decided to wait until after we get back from San Antonio to try solids. He will be almost exactly 6 months. Maybe by then he will start showing more signs of being interested, because right now he really could care less. So...what do I need to get? Some rice cereal? I have some soft spoons and little bowls with lids ( I had coupons! LOL) I have a sippy cup (Avent soft spout) that I would like to introduce too. When do babies typically figure out the sippies? Wow! This is a whole new world to me! I am excited! LOL! I am such a weirdo! Any suggestions? How much to give? How "runny" to make it? What time of day?
Thanks!

tinkerbell1217
03-14-2004, 04:02 PM
With my two kids I started out with rice cereal, not too thick, about a tablespoon, in the evening first. As they got used to it, I added a little bit of first foods applesauce for taste. Add things gradually and give him a few days to see if he likes it and/or develops an allergy. That way you will know exactly what its from and won't be trying to figure out which food gave it to him. I used Earth's Best. Its a little more expensive, but my kids seemed to like it much better than any other brand.

As for the sippy cup, I started that at 6 months also. It took a little while, but they got the hang of it although my DD went from a sippy to a regular cup pretty quickly.

Mine did great with their first cereal feedings in the evening, not too runny though, it wall just seem like formula or BM and they won't think its anything new.

Be patient and take your time!! A friend of mine tried solids with both hers at around 4 months and both of them hated baby food and baby cereal. She went straight to doing it herself with pureed fruits and veggies. More work for her, but they ate it! :)

Good luck!!

Kelly

Rachels
03-14-2004, 04:04 PM
:) Seriously, don't get anything until he's showing all the signs of being ready. It may happen by six months, but it may not. If he isn't ready, don't coax him-- it means he isn't READY.

That said, once he is ready, start with just a few soft spoons and little cups or bowls. It may take him longer with a sippy-- Abigail could use a regular cup for a full five months before she got the hang of sippies. As for what to feed, personally I'll start next time with something other than rice, which is very constipating for many babies (including mine). I'll use avocado or applesauce or something similar. The baby wil take very little at first, and he'll spit most of it out. Breastfeed first, because he needs those calories and nutrients, and first solids won't adequately replace them.

Have fun! But wait a while longer if he needs you to.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02