PDA

View Full Version : Can my diet affect my breastmilk production?

Cassandra27
03-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Just wondering, because my diet is not *fantastic*, and neither is my milk supply. Now that I am due back at work on Wednesday, I'm trying to pump like crazy in order to send expressed milk with Jenna to the nanny's for bottle feeding. And I am having major problems. I can never get more than two ounces out of one breast, and it comes in like 3-4 minutes, and then nothing more. Right now I'm marathon pumping, getting about a 1/4 ounce every 20 minutes, hoping to trigger my supply to increase.

In the beginning when Jenna was in the intensive care nursery (and I was engorged), I pumped 10 minutes on each side every 2 hours and had lots of milk to spare. Then, Jenna finally figured out how to latch on (yay!), and I stopped pumping about 4 weeks ago. Now, Jenna eats quite often, usually 15+ mins every hour, except for a 4 hour stretch at night and another 3-4 hour stretch during the afternoon while she gets a good nap in.

Also, I've been on Fenugreek for a couple weeks, and it's definitely helped, but I'm still not quite where I feel I need to be. I just increased my dosage today, though, so it will be another day or so to see if it's made a difference.

Anyway, now that you know my situation, back to my question. I sort of eat whatever I can whenever I can. Sometimes this means a skipped meal, but more often it just means lots of granola bars instead of a meal. I keep handy foods, like bananas, Nutrigrain bars, and granola bars on hand for quick snacking (if there's no easy snack around, sometimes that means I can't eat anything because there's just no opportunity). Other than the bananas, I get very little fruits and veggies. And for dinner, it's usually a Lean Cuisine, unless my parents bring takeout or something. So, I'm wondering that since my diet is less than stellar, if it could be part of my milk production problem.

Now that I re-read my post, I can pinpoint a couple issues that I probably just need to work through. First, I probably am trying to pump a little late; I probably should have started at least a week ago. And second, I'm sure I'm not really having a production problem, because Jenna is getting bigger every day and has lots of soiled diapers. But she was 5 weeks early, so maybe she just eats lots more than a full-term baby to catch up(?). So I probably just need to keep up my marathon pumping and positive attitude and I'll see some progress in a few days.

But keeping my attitude a positive one is getting tough....any words of wisdom, success stories, or other inspiration you can give? Am I just expecting too much? Or is my body abnormal? Or do I just need to chill? TIA.

Cassandra
mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

Imperia
03-14-2004, 09:20 PM
First of all why do you think you don't have enough milk? Pumping really doesn't tell you how much milk you have. YOur baby is MUCH better at getting milk from your breasts than any pump will ever be.
It may be that your breasts have adjusted to how much milk your baby needs and are not making "extra" that is why you are no longer engorged. Usually between 6 and 8 weeks the milk production has adjusted to the level that the baby needs.

Even if you aren't eating raelly well you can still make milk, women make milk in parts of the world where they have very little food and poor nutrition. Are you adequately hydrated? I know taht can make some difference, however, youd on't want to overhydrate yourself either. I knwo some people suggest eating oatmeal (not instant) to help increase production, but the best way to increase it is really to have the baby nurse as often as possible.

I am sure the wonderful women on this board will be able to give you more advice.

Imperia

Momof3Labs
03-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Not eating enough can definitely affect your breastmilk production. That's why most diet plans won't accept bf'ing moms, and those that do (like Weight Watchers) add extra calories for bf'ing. So try working on your diet and making sure you get enough calories, and I suspect that will help a lot. Drinking plenty of water and getting enough rest help, too.

Also, what type of pump are you using?

Vajrastorm
03-15-2004, 02:03 AM
I find this to be a helpful website - kellymom.com

Check out: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

kijip
03-15-2004, 03:05 AM
One thing worth trying to increase your supply so you can store more milk is a prescription called Dom Peridone. You clearly have enough milk you just want to jumpstart your supply so you have some reserves. Dom Peridone, unlike Regalen (spelling error) DOES not have depression side effects (what post partum woman needs that??!). It is only available at compounding pharmacies. It is worth checking out if you continue to worry.

Cassandra27
03-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Wow, how things change in less than 24 hours! My "marathon pumping" seems to have really worked, as I've doubled the amount I can pump in one sitting. I even pumped one ounce in just 2 minutes from one breast this morning!

I know that being able to pump just small amounts is not an indicator of my milk supply. But either way, I must go back to work and so I must be able to produce more from the pump. So I could use some tips on how to make that happen.

I'm using the Medela Minielectric Breastpump (a single). I think they've changed the name by now, but the price is still $79. I know it's not suggested for moms going back to work, but it's all I have for now.

I am definitely staying hydrated. I've always consumed lots of water, and even more now that I'm breastfeeding. Like 2+ gallons per day.

Regarding the oatmeal, any suggestion on what kind? I know that instant oatmeal doesn't have some characteristics as raw oatmeal. Maybe I could make oatmeal cookies (yum!) in order to easily incorporate it into my diet?

The article on Kellymom.com was really interesting and useful. I will certainly save that in my favorites. Thanks a lot for this.

Cassandra
mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

nitaghei
03-15-2004, 04:30 PM
YOur pump might be the problem. I haven't heard anything good about it. Definitely look into getting a better pump. If you're going back to work full time, do invest in a PY, PIS or a hospital grade rental (I had a Lactina). I'm sure you'll see a difference. And yes, diet does matter. The days I ate poorly (especially if it was a few days in a row), my pumping output would drop, even though there would be plenty for the sessions where DS would nurse. And do be careful about overhydrating, too!

One strategy I've used successfully with respect to eating is handing DS to DH for a couple of hours on the weekend, and just spend that time cooking big batches of nutritious food to get me through the week. I'm vegetarian, so I generally cook a couple types of beans/lentils and a couple of veggies and rice. Add yogurt - and it's a balanced meal every time. It's tiring, but also a relief because I know have something I like to eat and all I have to do is nuke to reheat.

I've heard that oatmeal cookies also work! :) I never tried that because I LOATHE oatmeal in ANY form whatsoever!

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Momof3Labs
03-15-2004, 04:37 PM
If you are going to have to pump daily for months, you should check out a different pump - I've only heard bad things about that Medela, so I doubt that you will be able to continue to pump enough with it once you return to work. Compare the price of a pump to the cost of formula - avoiding formula for about 2 months will pay for a good double electric pump!

For oatmeal, the instant stuff doesn't do the trick, only the slow-cooked oats. Oatmeal cookies work well, taste good and are very portable!

babyengberg
03-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Well, water is A, Number one, your best bet to increasing your supply and you seem to have that covered. My sister in law swears by having an occasional beer. I never noticed that my supply increased as a result, but the beer sure did relax me! If you choose to have one, do it immediately after you nurse, so that there is sufficient time between nursings (or pumping) to metabolize the alcohol. My pediatrician said about an hour for a regular beer.