PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Cow's Milk?

kfcboston
03-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Hmmmm. My DS seems to have made a very smooth transition to whole milk over the past week. But I'm finding my diaper bag to be in a little bit of chaos. I used to be lax about not refrigerating formula on-the-go. I didn't have a problem with an hour or two outside of the fridge for a bottle. But I'm more afraid with milk. Can anyone tell me how long a bottle of milk can go outside the fridge? And also, does anyone have any recommendations of bags with insulated pockets for bottles/cups of milk? Thus far I've been transporting them in those insulated containers you can slide ice packs into.

TIA!

Lynnie
03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
don't know about the insulated bags, but my husband came up with the idea of just loading up the cup/bottle with ice, and pouring the milk over that. i know its probably bad, since the milk can then get diluted by the ice, but it lasts awhile, and has worked for us when we are on the go - i am much more paranoid about spoiled milk than diluted milk. i always bring a clean cup/bottle, and then when we get to wherever we are going, i just buy or pour some fresh milk into the clean cup when we need more.

egoldber
03-15-2004, 08:32 PM
The beauty of cows milk is you can buy it most places! :) I allow myself the luxury now of buying milk when we are out so that I am free from the insulated cooler! :)

toomanystrollers
03-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Katie,
We use a variety of insulated lunch box types from Walmart/Target with a icepack inside. Look for one with a detachable strap - easier to loop onto a stroller.

JElaineB
03-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I just use the insulated bag and ice packs that came with my diaper bag from the hospital. I wouldn't leave milk out for more than a couple of hours max, personally. I also do sometimes buy a small container of milk if we are grocery shopping and just open it right in the store.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Marisa6826
03-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Katie-

Parmalat has little "juice boxes" of milk.

You can also freeze them and just let them thaw in your dipe bag, so Charlie has cold milk.

-m