PDA

View Full Version : solids: self-feeding?

deborah_r
03-15-2004, 11:44 PM
If DS is willing to feed himself squares of fruit and cheerio's, but also willing to let me spoon feed him, should I keep doing that, or should I just give him the food in ways that he can feed himself? (thicker cereal so he can pick it up, no more jarred food, etc.)

I hate the idea of the mess, but I do not want to hinder his progress in learning to feed himself.

toomanystrollers
03-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Just go with the level of mess you're comfortable with :) Trust me, you won't be hindering him. Someday he'll just grab that spoon away from you.

Tonight we let Neve play with/eat a small pile of chopped up sphaghetti - what a mess!!! but oh so yummy :)

Momof3Labs
03-16-2004, 12:04 AM
We kept on spooning some of Colin's food as long as he would tolerate it. Now, he refuses to eat off of a spoon (unless it is a taste of my yogurt). So do whatever you feel comfortable with - he'll guide you and let you know what he wants/needs!

mharling
03-16-2004, 01:43 AM
FWIW, we still do both. He feeds himself the majority of his food, but we still spoon-feed yogurt, applesauce and oatmeal. I plan to do this until he won't let us anymore.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

bluej
03-16-2004, 09:48 AM
I spoon feed all messy food (yogurt, oatmeal), and let Ryden feed himself finger food (pasta, cheerios, veggie chunks, chicken). I just can't deal w/ the mess of smeared food so that's why I do it this way.

McQ
03-16-2004, 09:51 AM
We still do both too. And meals involve 2 spoons. One for me and one for him. His spoon doesn't always make it to his mouth or the wrong end goes in his mouth. He feeds himself things like fruit, cheese, shredded chicken or even homemade mashed potatoes. But I'm still able to spoon feed him the jarred foods or yogurt.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

amp
03-16-2004, 12:02 PM
We still do both. I feed the messy stuff (pureed fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc) and he feeds himself finger foods (diced fruit & veg, bread, chicken, cheerios, tortilla, cheese, etc). I plan to keep feeding w/ a spoon as long as I can. I fear we are approaching his refusal of my feeding him. His interest and patience for me feeding him pureed foods is waning greatly. He so much prefers to feed himself. I try to make sure he has at least one food, if not more, that he can feed to himself at every meal. But I am trying to use up the pureed baby food we have before he refuses it altogether!