PDA

View Full Version : Strange question-- when can baby take breast himself when feeding?

quikeye
03-16-2004, 01:28 AM
I am just curious & brand new @ babies :), so I thought I'd ask here! When can ds actually manuever the breast into his mouth on his own? Lately I notice he will leave a hand on the side of my breast & sort of squeeze/scratch (massaging??), and he often flails his arms & "pushes" me away (both when he's hungry & when he's not). When will he be able to take himself to the breast and latch himself on? Do they hold onto the breast like I've seen formula fed kids holding onto bottles? Just curious! :) tia,

aija y kai, 1-25-04 (nursing @ keyboard!)

mharling
03-16-2004, 01:39 AM
I don't remember when Lane started doing this; sorry!! But I chuckled when I read your last question:

> Do they hold onto the breast like I've seen formula fed kids holding onto bottles?

Lane does hold. Usually it looks like he's holding a sandwich. LOL!!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

deborah_r
03-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Gosh, I don't remember either, but he can certainly find it now! I'm thinking around 5 months?

papal
03-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Like everything else.. i am sure each baby does the hold-boob-like-bottle at a different age. Leela is 5 months old and does not have the hand-eye coordination fully worked out where she can hold my boob.. but she knows how to latch on without me maneuvering her head...it is kind of funny to watch.. she will be laying there next to me..then she starts sucking at whatever part of my body is closest to her which is her way of saying 'mom, i am hungry'. When i move into a position where she can reach, she lunges forward and latches on.

alkagift
03-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Mine never did "hold" per se. Mostly he wiggled. Now he tends to "lunge" in the right direction then hold his own hands. It's very cute.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03