PDA

View Full Version : Get OFF my boob!

deborah_r
03-16-2004, 02:00 AM
I'm hesitant to ask this, but really would like to know if anyone experienced this around this time. I just don't want to discourage anyone about extended breastfeeding.

I was fully prepared to go well past one year for however long DS wants to nurse. But the last few days I just feel kind of impatient when he's nursing, like I just want him to get done and get off my boob! He's had teeth for a while and hasn't bitten me in a while, but I am feeling just a little discomfort and I feel like it's coming from the teeth.

I really would like to keep BFing after a year, but if I feel like this all the time, I may have to reconsider. Anyone else have a phase like this?

wagner36
03-16-2004, 02:20 AM
I feel the same way - I hope it is just a phase. I also plan to bf for at least a year, but there must be something about this age!

Charlie is about the same age as Kai, and I am starting to lose it. The daytime nursing sessions are okay because they're pretty short (especially because I'm only home during the day on the weekends), but the evening ones are KILLING me. He will linger, for hours it seems, just sucking away. I used to love the bonding time, but now I find myself staring at the clock. Granted, I think it is pretty cute when he lunges with his mouth open, but I used to feel so relaxed when he nursed, and now it just kind of stresses me out.

The worst for me is pumping right now, though. I work so much (still at work now), and I would rather be home than pumping. I've been trying to rededicate myself to it for a few weeks, but I find myself sabotaging my pumping efforts. I still have quite a stash, and most days I'm still pumping everything, if not more than, he eats, but I just don't have the dedication I used to.

Charlie has developed such a funny little personality in the last few weeks, and now we communicate and bond in so many other ways. I think that must have something to do with it - I don't feel like that is our main form of bonding anymore because there is so much more fun interaction going on. I see that interaction as replacing nursing, instead of supplementing it, which is definitely the wrong way to look at it....

It must be a nine or ten month slump!

deborah_r
03-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Egads! I hope you are on the West Coast if you are still at work this late! Either way, it's late! COngrats on keeping up with the pumping - I can't imagine. I had very little dedication to pumping when I tried to go back to work.

Rachels
03-16-2004, 07:47 AM
It will pass. Abby goes through this from time to time, and it wears me out. Inevitably, she then cuts a tooth or gets diagnosed with an ear infection or suddenly grows, and then we go back to normal. If he's teething, he may not be latching as well, which can contribute to that feeling of discomfort. It may also make his nursing less effective, so that he needs to nurse more often. Try giving a homeopathic teething remedy (Boiron Camelia works best for us) before you nurse, or try some Motrin. And hang in there! You're doing a great job, mama.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

bluej
03-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Well I don't feel any physical discomfort, but Ryden's evening nursing session certainly seems to be getting longer and longer! I think he knows it's bedtime and he's trying to put it off. I find myself starting to get antsy when I think he should be done, but he shows no signs of being done. I do have to say that a couple of weeks ago he was sucking w/ such force I thought my nipples might come off. I have no idea what the deal was w/ that. But thankfully that has passed and we are back to 'normal' sucking. But I was ready to stop nursing then if that was how it was going to be for the rest of the time.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Tara, I am feeling the same way about pumping. I recently dropped my morning pumping session, and I think I can go down to pumping once a day now that she is eating more solids and will be a year old next week.

I've started to look at my freezer stash and calculate how long it will last if I stop pumping now. I think I will be able to stop pumping soon. But it's bittersweet because pumping and carrying that milk home to her makes me so proud that I am doing something for her while I am at work. But on the other hand, pumping is annoying sometimes.

Like this Thursday I have to leave home at 4:30 to catch a plane and I won't arrive at my destination until 10:30 and I am supposed to go straight to the office for a meeting. I'll have to pump sometime, but I can't figure out when. I may have to do it in the car in the parking lot and be late to the meeting. It would be easier if I didn't have to worry about pumping.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jd11365
03-16-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm TOTALLY with you! I don't mind the morning and evening nursing, but I'm ready to give up during the day. Honestly, I can't wait for her to be able to drink milk so I can give up the middle of the day nursing. I still enjoy the am and evening, when it's more bonding, but the middle of the day is just not fun anymore... And teething is definitely not helping...I did remember the 'ol Lansinoh creme...very helpful! You are not alone...we're in this together girl!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

deborah_r
03-17-2004, 02:17 AM
Well, the saga gets worse tonight. his naps were all out of whack today and he was lingering on nursing sessions. Now for the last hour I have been trying to nurse him and my milk will not let down. He's crying, I'm crying, DH has him now. Why do men say things like "well, crying's not going to help..." I am sooooo pissed at him right now. I have forgotten how to will a letdown to happen...don't know what to do and have no freezer stash. maybe a warm shower but I don't think those work anymore for letdown...

jd11365
03-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh hon I'm so sorry you had such a terrible night. For letdown I actually think of what it feels like and it usually happens, but fortunately I letdown very easy. It sounds like maybe the stress of it all didn't help either...and DH was probably just as stressed and cranky which is why he said what he said...not that I think it was helpful to you...

Kai and Kayla are close in age and on the same track usually. She had a bad night too...waking up screaming and almost unconsolable...which is unusual...usually she just needs to be plugged back in with a paci. I think it's teething. She was nursing for dear life... Although I was exhausted, knowing I could make her feel better with nursing did make me feel better...as if she needed her mommy. Kayla's been so independent, it's sometimes nice to know she still "needs" me.

I appreciate the honesty of this thread, but I can't imagine there are only a few of us who are experiencing this... I feel a little guilty that I want to stop daytime nursing. I can't imaging giving it all up though...I do love am and pm nursing...she's usually looking at me kinda smiling...or just so comfortable and happy. It's the daytime that's losing fun. NIP is a bit more challenging because she is bigger and is all over the place...not neatly and discreetly under a little blanket..IYKWIM. I don't know...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

mharling
03-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Gee, that sounds like my Monday night. Except dh wasn't around to provide relief. :( (although like your dh, he probably wouldn't have provided much and made me tense) I usually don't have much of a problem with letdown, but for some reason it would NOT happen Monday night. I tried closing my eyes, breathing deep, imagining a letdown and NADA! Lane got so agitated. He's teething like a madman on top of it, so it was not a pretty night.

And I am right there with you and Jamie. I am definitely ready to stop nursing during the day. I have always nursed Lane on-demand, which right now means him coming to me at multiplie, random times while we're playing and starting to pull up my shirt. Haven't quite figured out to approach weaning. Laying in the middle of the floor surrounded by toys with my top up is not the relaxing/bonding experience of nursing in the morning or evening.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

MartiesMom2B
03-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Yes Yes Yes!!! I could've posted this last month. It was the night nursing that was driving me batty. I declared to DH one night that I would never breastfeed again, and that my boobs were going to be closed to everyone. OK so it was the sleeplessness that was talking.

Rachel is right, it was teething that was causing me to feel this way. Her teeth have come in and she's sleeping through the night again now. I have a much better attitude towards nursing now. I think she wanted marathon nursing sessions at night, because she wasn't eating as much and was making up for it. Now that I know what was going on, I guess I'll be better prepared when the other teeth come in.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jmofarrill
03-17-2004, 01:14 PM
According to everyone's responses and posts, this is a developmental thing this month for babies around the May/June mark! LOL Anwyn has become so active, and with eight little teeth (a couple of them just pushing through), we had some rough nights the past couple of weeks. It's MUCH better now. One thing that I did to help with the feeling of impatience while nursing was to increase my nursing at the computer. I sit in the chair with the Boppy, hold Anwyn tight with one arm, and she nurses while I surf and post. She's asserting her independance (sp?), so she doesn't want my help so much while nursing, so nak'ing works really well for us now. It's funny, though, it seems like she wants to nurse more than ever now, so I'm positive we'll be nursing for a while longer.

deborah_r
03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Well, he finally got some milk out of me, about 30 minutes after I posted. I chugged a bunch of water and things got better. i think I might have been a little dehydrated because I was out and about a lot yesterday and it was quite hot here (sorry to those still dealing with winter conditions) and maybe I didn't drink enough water.

Well, it does feel better to know I am not alone in this. I really hardly even think about breastfeeding anymore, just do it, up until about the last week. It is so weird to be having breastfeeding problems this late in the game!

bluej
03-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Ryden seems to want to nurse more often now too. Actually, it's not full on nursing. It's more like he's thirsty and doesn't want water, so he tugs on my shirt and when I let him nurse he takes a few quick drinks and then resumes playing. I think I really want to be done w/ all daytime nursing by summer. I don't know how to go about weaning though :( My other two weaned themselves at 8 months (Alex) and 11 months (Caden).

calebsmama03
03-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Caleb just turned one and I swear that he's wanting to nurse now more than ever! Many times he will just lie there with the boob in his mouth and not really DOING anything with it, but it I try to take him off he screams! I have a feeling he's not drinking as much milk lately because I can't pump nearly as much these days but time-wise he's on a lot! He also still generally "asks" to nurse 5-6 times/day. Hasn't changed since he was 5 months old! I agree about the teeth. He only had 2 until about 8 weeks ago, then started to get 4 top teeth at once. Now that those top ones are a bit farther in I've been finding myself with sore nipples and a few blisters - OUCH! I've read that they almost have to re-learn how to latch as more teeth come in, so I guess I just need to be more patient. No advice here, just empathy!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

LoveMyBug
03-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Could you be pregnant, or fixin to start your period?

I get REALLY impatient with DS when it is that time of the month.