PDA

View Full Version : Milk Allergy

momma_boo
03-16-2004, 01:44 PM
In an effort to begin the gradual weaning process, I had the daycare introduce milk into her diet yesterday - just a few ounces with her cereal (I had gotten the ok from the ped since she is less than 2 weeks away from the 1 year mark). Well, she broke out in hives all over her body, which has resolved itself thanks to some benadryl. The ped recommended we go see an allergist to confirm that it's a milk allergy. We have an appointment next month (apparently, he's pretty booked b/c of allergy season). I think I'll give her body a week to go back to normal and give soy milk a shot.

This has totally thrown me off guard. She never had a dairy sensitivity (and I eat lots of ice cream!) and has had yogurt and cheese already w/o any incidents. The ped did tell me that kids can "grow out" of this.

Anyone else experience something similar?

missliss55
03-16-2004, 01:53 PM
At 6 months I mixed some formula with DD's rice cereal and after a couple of exposures she broke out in hives, but only where the milk had touched. (We know it is the milk b/c she is fine with rice cereal mixed with water) We tried soy and she got a little rash on her face. Our ped says it can be common for kids who have a reaction to milk to also have one to soy. I was told not to re-introduce dairy till she is 1. We recently tried soy yogurt and no reaction so far. Most kids will outgrow a milk allergy. :)

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

kijip
03-16-2004, 02:50 PM
A LOT of kids that are sensitive to milk protein are sensitive to soy. Soy is one of the most common food allergies so I would steer clear of soy milk until after your appt w/ the allergist. Milk and soy reactions are common things to outgrow. Good luck!

KGoes
03-17-2004, 11:24 AM
We tried yogurt and ended up with a hive-coated baby. We are in the waiting-until-one-year crowd as well.

Kelley
DD born 7/03