PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Avent bottles with my Medela Pump in Style?

jennyriver
03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
A friend recently gave me her used Medela PIS but I think I would prefer to use the Avent bottles. I recall reading a while back (I think on Amazon but can't find it now) that you can use Avent bottles with the PIS but I believe you have to use some kind of adapter to fit the bottles on correctly. Is this true? And if so, who makes the adapter (Avent or Medela) and where can I purchase it?

Thanks so much! Does anyone have any suggestions for an "older" PIS model (I think it's from 1999 or 2000) also?

stillplayswithbarbies
03-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Avent makes the adapter. You can see what it looks like here:

http://store.yahoo.com/medela/avbrpucokit2.html

(I have never ordered from them, this is just the first one that turned up on a froogle.com search)

If the PIS has been used, it may be at the end of it's life, so be prepared that it may not work for you. I have heard of women using them for several babies, but I have also heard of them not lasting for a second baby. Not trying to scare you, just preparing you that if it doesn't seem to be working it might not be your fault it might be the pump.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

caleymama
03-16-2004, 03:10 PM
I used the Avent adapter with my PIS. The adapter was made by Avent and I purchased it from babycenter.com.

jennyriver
03-16-2004, 03:14 PM
That's OK...it's a good tip. Is there any way I could tell now (before baby comes) how well it might work? I have plugged it in and the motor runs and I can see the unit "sucking" but I'm not quite ready to try it out yet! Any suggestions? I realize Medela says that two people using a unit invalidates the warranty but do you know if they're good about fixing/replacing burnt out units? I'm not actually planning on going back to work and originally was just going to use the Isis but since this one became available and I have read how well it works I couldn't pass it up - so it won't be getting "heavy" use.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I think it only has a one year warranty anyway, so the warranty is not an issue. You should know that the Medela is not a closed system and that is why it is a single user pump. There is no way to sterilize down in the motor itself and that part is not isolated from the milk that you pump.

In your situation, the Isis will be more than adequate, but it is good to have another option. Not every pump works well with every woman.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

AvasMama
03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi,
I just bought the adapter kit last week at Babies R Us, only to find that you actually need two kits in order to double pump. Each kit only contains one adapter ring. They were $9.99 each.

-- Robyn

Ava 1-15-04

littlecindy
02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
DS would only take avent nipples. but i found this adaptor / conversion kit that would make my medela pump in style PIS work with avent products:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp149884_333181_sespider/philips_avent/breast_pump_conversion_kit.htm

i didn't want to use the avent bottles because of the BPA issue, so i'm using their via "disposable" containers instead:

http://www.aventamerica.com/products/disposablefeeding.asp

it's been GREAT. use the one piece adaptor, pump right into the via containers, put the lid on and bring to daycare. the she just uses the nipple with another adaptor (comes with the via kit) and there's his bottle!

only thing i don't like is the VIA containers can leak if you're not careful about putting the lid on just right.