PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a 13-mo old

cinrein
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm at my wit's end! Anna used to be such a good eater. Overnight she totally changed! The only protein source I can get her to eat is cheese--which she loves. She will eat no green veggies, unless it's some kind of spinach baby jar food thing that I've doctored up with cottage cheese. She will eat pasta, cheerios, graham crackers and goldfish crackers---mostly crap! She does eat any fruit I've tried on her with total gluttony.

What other protein can I feed her? She doesn't like tofu or meatballs (used to love these). We tried white beans today and she didn't like them (interestingly enough the cat ate the ones that fell off her high chair---who knew?) She will eat chicken if I chop it up and sprinkle a little Newman's Balsamic Vinagrette on it. See how desperate I am?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

nitaghei
03-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Hummus is one thing I can think of - chick peas + tahini = fat + protein. Along the same lines, falafel, which is also made from chick peas. Baked beans? A little messy but . . . How about ground chicken or turkey?

Have you tried quiche? DS loves quiche in any version. Cheese, eggs, veggies, crust - covers all the food groups. Just cut up the veggies fine.

Eggs are also a good protein source.

Some kind of pasta alfredo? (cream, butter, cheese - all things a 1 year old needs!)

I've noticed that Neel really prefers food with spices now. BTW, he's no longer vegetarian. I made tandoori chicken last week, and I couldn't put it down fast enough on the tray for him. OTOH, he absolutely will not eat any fruit any more other than applesauce (if that counts as fruit!).

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Momof3Labs
03-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Typical toddler behavior!

Colin refuses most meats, but will eat scrambled eggs (I add shredded cheese and sprinkle in some baby oatmeal to add more protein and iron), cheese (also can melt it on bread in the microwave), and soynut butter. Milk has protein, too, so that counts as a protein source. How about yogurt? That's a no-go here (because it is served on a spoon) but Anna might eat it.

We buy whole wheat pasta, which has a little more protein that regular pasta, and Colin eats it the same.

And as soon as you figure out what works, she'll change her mind again!!