PDA

View Full Version : Similac Advance - frothy/bubbly???

tina-t
03-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Anybody else notice that when you mix up the formula Similac Advance with water it ends up being bubbly/frothy? Never had this problem with Enfamil Lipil. The formula is not expired though. I checked to make sure that I was using the correct amount of water and formula. I'm wondering if anybody else noticed the same thing.

pamela mom of 3
03-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Short answer_ yes_ ;)

Have you tried contacting them to ask why? i know i myself am curious.

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

KMommie
03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
This has always happened with the powder, never with the RTF. I don't know why. I noticed, if you wait a bit (I sometimes make a batch and put it in the fridge for the day), it will settle down and go away on it's own. Also, I discovered I got less bubbles if I mixed it with warm water, rather than room temperature. It never seemed to bother Kiki, but at one point, when she was having some tummy troubles, I did add a couple drops of infant mylicon to each bottle. That got rid of the bubbles quick.

HTH,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

lmariana
03-16-2004, 11:56 PM
The only time the Similac has gotten frothy on me is when my husband mixes it! I think he and I shake the bottle differently. I rock it a little more gently, and he shakes it to death. After it sits in the fridge a bit the froth usually goes away. I haven't found the froth to cause any more gas than normal. We switched to Similac because Gabriel spit up more of the Enfamil.

The best thing I have for making formula is a large plastic rubbermaid jug that I bought at Walmart. I fill it with 46 ounces of water, add 2 cups of formula, shake, and done! I have enought formula for 1-2 days. Very handy. I also discovered that Similac mixes best with room temp. water, instead of warm.

I talked to my pediatrician today about Similac, and he said that they actually produce a generic brand that is identical to the Similac Advance, just cheaper! It's the Kirkland's brand at Walmart. He said it's exactly the same! I'll be checking it out!

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003