PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Question (4 month old)

scubagear
03-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I just rec'd the OK from my doctor to start my DS on cereal. We have been feeding him 1 tablespoon of rice cereal (twice a day) for a week now - with the rest of the time being breast milk. My question is, should I now try out the oatmeal for one week and then the barley the week after that?

Also, he still seems to be hungry after having a tablespoon of the rice cereal so I have been then nursing him rather than giving him more cereal. Would this be the 'correct' thing to do?

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm just curious as to what other moms/dads out there do!

Thanks so much!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-17-2004, 12:12 AM
I did some research and decided not to start solids until after 7 months.

I would nurse before the solids, you want to be sure that the solids are not replacing any of the breastmilk. Their calories need to come from breastmilk (or formula) for the first year. Any solids they get are just for practice.

The AAP now says to wait until 6 months for solids.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jamsmu
03-17-2004, 12:49 AM
I started solids at 4 months because Carson was ready... we went through the "checklist"--sitting up, reaching for my spoon (even with chili on it!), doubled his birth weight, at least 13 lbs, etc.

Anyway, I followed Gerber's instructions: 1 Tablespoon Rice cereal on day one, 2 T day 2, 3 T day 3 and 4 T on day four. Then I continued 4 tablespoons until we finished the box of cereal. Only after we finished did I switch to Oatmeal. (This is probably out of habit, my dad never let me open a new box until the one that was open was finished. Even if I hated open cereal.) Once we started Oatmeal, because DS was so hungry, I would just do 4 T for each meal.

Now that we are eatting 3 meals a day and he is eatting fruits and veggies, I give him less cereal and half a container of fruit at breakfast.

I think you're right to give breastmilk when he is still hungry for now. This may change later, but leave that up to discussion with your doctor. And call the ped. if you have questions!! I called so many times just to make sure I understood how to feed DS!!

Good luck... its going to be messy!!

amp
03-17-2004, 09:24 AM
When we started solids at 4 mths, DS seemed ready, but he was not a very avid eater after the first few tries. We kept it up, but made sure formula was his primary source of nutrition. We also only fed cereal once a day at that time, but we'd do it for about 4-6 days and then tried the next cereal. After Rice and Oat, we tried applesauce and bananas (again, after trying for several days each). We didn't try mixed cereal until later since it has wheat. I think we did barley after we'd been doing rice and oat for several weeks. You can do what you feel comfortable with.

I recommend you contintue to nurse before or after the cereal if he is still hungry, since that's where his primary nutrition should come from. Solids at this point is not necessary and is really only practice w/ texture and flavors, so he doesn't "need" it. I think we increased the amount of cereal/fruit and frequency when DS was about 6-7 mths old.