PDA

View Full Version : Is a PY easier/better than the Isis? I m getting to HATE/FRET pumping with the ISIS

Grace_underfire
03-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I feel really frustated right now with pumping. DS is 5 months old and he seems to not ever be satisfied, He is sleeping all night most nights, from 7 30 til 6 00am so maybe my production has declined? I don't feel full much and he eats quite a bit but always fusses at the end. Once that he is entertained it stops and if i feed him more he spits it all up so i don't know if he is hungry or just wants to suck or what. I work from home but a couple of times a week i go into the office and i need to leave bm with him but I HATE pumping now. I barely get much 3 oz or so when i pump at 10pm or so and i m getting real sick of the isis and having to hold it fwd so i don't leak milk etc... I am considering getting a PY to help my supply and if it would make pumping easier/faster etc... I'm very committed to BF but I'm afraid that it will not work if I hate pumping and have 0 freezer stack. Right now i literally HAVE NOTHING AND THAT STRESSES ME OUT, PUTS PREASSURE ON me to pump more QTY and it almost makes me fret pumping even more cause I'm under preassure.

I feel the isis would be great for a QUICK pumping session for cereal when we introduce that or for on the go but it seems to turn me off from daily pumping. Would an electric help?

btw - ds has been exclusively breastfeed although we have come close to giving him formula a couple of times because of the lack of a stash.

sadie427
03-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes, I had an Isis at first, but when I realized I wanted to pump at least once a day I got a PY and am very happy with it. Just the fact that it's a double helps a lot, as well as the electric action.

Look at kellymom.com for tips on pumping and increasing supply. Also, do you pump first thing in the am, before DS wakes up? Your milk supply is highest then, and even if he wakes up right when you're done pumping you'll still make milk as long as he sucks. I found it to be the easiest way to build up a stash.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-17-2004, 01:26 PM
I have both and I would say for your situation the PY will be better. It's faster and easier to pump both sides at once.

I use the Isis for quick pumping sessions as you said, but I use the PY at work and to build up my stash.

Try pumping in the morning rather than at night. Prolactin levels are higher early in the morning.

It is normal to not feel as full at around 5 months. It doesn't mean you don't have as much milk, it just means your body has regulated the milk production and knows when to make it and how much, so it doesn't "store" as much.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03