PDA

View Full Version : What Brand of Rice Cereal do I buy?

Grace_underfire
03-17-2004, 01:36 PM
What is your favorite Rice Cereal brand. I see the Gerber boxes everywhere but I HATE their onesies so much I hope their line of food is better :)

Are there any better organic brands or something else I should be considering? Jack is 5 months old and he seems to be ready now but I am going to hold off until 6 months or at least 5 and a half (he was two weeks late - with 100% sure of my due date due to Natural Family Planning and super early beta results)

nitaghei
03-17-2004, 02:22 PM
We use Earth's Best. It's whole grain and organic. BTW DS would not eat the Gerber's - I bought it first, and he would just spit it out and make this "YUCK" face. He loves the Earth's Best, though. There's another brand called Organic Baby that I found at my local health food store - but I've only bought their oatmeal. DS likes this one too.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Jen in Chicago
03-17-2004, 02:39 PM
I buy the Gerber at Target. Sorry, I know that was not what you wanted to hear. That is what daycare feeds him too.

Grace_underfire
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh no... I don't care if Gerber or something else. I just have my bad experiences with the Onesies so I wanted to see what is out there and gerber probably owns 80% of the market so I was not sure.
:) What works works :)

caleymama
03-17-2004, 02:47 PM
We used Gerber for rice cereal and Gerber and occasionally Earth's Best for oatmeal cereal. The EB wasn't as fortified with vitamins/minerals as the Gerber, I don't think. We tried Beech Nut once and I didn't care for the texture/consistency.

amp
03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
We've used both Gerber and Heinz, which is now Del Monte for cereal as well as baby food.

malie
03-17-2004, 04:34 PM
We use Gerber or Beechnut. Usually Beechnut because it's normally a few pennies less and for us the differences between the two brands are not enough to make a difference

Now the one advantage Gerber has over Beechnut is that the boxes are thicker. Meaning you really can't leave a Beechnut box on a slightly damp counter (or should I say leave it on a counter where someone has dropped an ice cube without your knowledge :)) because the box absorbs the water pretty quickly. The gerber boxes are thicker and don't. (So the mixed grain box of gerber was okay and the rice cereal box was not..a more organized mother would not have this probably I suppose because she would put the boxes away everytime she uses the them ;) ) So now I just put the cereal in labled "tupperware" which frankly makes it easier anyway since then I can just scoop out what I want as compared to trying to pour out the "easy pour spouts

Earth's Best is organic if that is what you are interested in and you can buy it online if it's not carried locally

jd11365
03-17-2004, 05:56 PM
FWIW, Beechnut Naturals (I don't know about Gerber) has almost twice the iron as Earth's Best which is why we switched.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

C99
03-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I really like the Earth's Best rice and oatmeal cereals. Actually, I like Earth's Best brand for most baby food products (except teething biscuits); it tastes *good.* My husband used to say that he wouldn't eat baby food because it tasted bad, but the Earth's Best stuff does not. The only thing I know about Gerber is that they cut the rice with milk and if your baby is at all sensitive to dairy, it can be a problem (this happened with another baby in our playgroup).