PDA

View Full Version : Tofu--how do you prepare?

alkagift
03-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Always on the lookout for relatively neat finger foods, I'm trying tofu. Any ideas on the best way to present it? Today I gave him chunks of firm tofu right out of the refrigerator and he ate three or four but wasn't that excited. It may be that it was cold. What do you do? And, what is considered a serving for a 10-month old? Satter doesn't mention tofu really.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

deborah_r
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Kai wasn't that thrilled with the tofu straight from the package, but a few days ago DH baked the tofu (cut the big cube into about 4 slices, and then I cooled it and chopped it up for him) and he really liked it. I had to cut off the "skin" that had formed from the baking because it seemed a little too tough for him.

Just noticed your question about serving size. That's a hard one to say. I just give him what seems like a reasonable amount based on how much cereal he usually eats, and when he starts throwing them to the dog, I know he's had enough!

bluej
03-17-2004, 03:46 PM
How did you bake it? Did you add any seasonings? Butter? Or just simply put it on a pan and bake? I'm a tofu idiot. I just scramble it up w/ butter (like eggs).

deborah_r
03-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Called DH. First, let me say we use our Cuisinart toaster oven for almost everything, because our oven is really bad. Can't bake a cake in it, just horrible. So anyway, he said he just put it on some aluminum foil, on top of the tray which also had the little broiler thing in it with the holes. I mention this because you want to rig it in a way that there is a way to catch the water that drains off - you don't want it to sit soaking in the water. Then when the top looked done, he flipped them (drained water off first) and baked that side and that was that. And I tasted some and it actually tasted OK. I think I've gone crazy, because tofu actually has flavor to me now! I ate a LOT of tofu and broccoli during pregnancy (to counter my slice-of-cake a day habit!)!

I am so NOT a Julia Child, here, hope I explained it OK!

bluej
03-17-2004, 05:02 PM
How you described it makes perfect sense! And yes, I would be one to just plop it on a baking sheet and have it sit in the water! So thanks for pointing out to use the broiler pan.

nitaghei
03-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Try cutting it in fingers and sauteing it in butter. Adds a lot of flavor.

You could also drizzle it with olive or sesame oil and broil it.

By 11 months, DS preferred tofu out of our stir fry or soup, with all the flavor it had absorbed from the sauce/spices.

Warm tofu definitely tastes better than cold. Not sure about serving sizes.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

sadie427
03-17-2004, 05:30 PM
DS eats it plain just fine (not too good with finger foods yet, we spoon feed it) but sometimes I put a few drops of sesame oil on it for flavor and extra fat.