PDA

View Full Version : Storing baby food

June Mommy
03-17-2004, 07:36 PM
I might have done a silly thing. I'm due in June with my first, but this afternoon at our local grocery store, I noticed that all the Gerber organic Tender Harvest jarred baby food was being discontinued and marked down to 25 cents a jar. So I bought about 25 jars! I made sure that they wouldn't expire soon. The earliest expiration date is March 05 and some even last until January 06. I figure my little one will be 6 months old this December (04) and starting solids around then. Is there anything special I should do to store all these jars of food? Should I keep them in the fridge or will putting them on a top shelf in my kitchen be fine?
ETA: They are the smalll 2.5 oz. jars of Stage 1 foods like apples, bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes and peas.

JElaineB
03-17-2004, 08:56 PM
You can just keep them on the shelf. I wouldn't put them somewhere hot like right above the stove though. They should be fine that way. They don't need to be refridgerated until opened.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sadie427
03-17-2004, 09:44 PM
I don't think that was silly at all. As long as it's not expired, it should be fine. It should be like any jarred/canned food, doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's opened. I wouldn't buy any more, though, as you don't know when your baby will be ready for solids and you may not do the veggies/fruits right away. You can always give it away or donate it if it gets close to expiration and you're not using it!

malie
03-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Actually if it were me I would get a tupperware container or some rubbermaid box and store them on the floor in a closet. Only reason why is since heat rises, even with A/C during the summer the top shelf anywhere in my kitchen is going to be warmer, then the floor of a closet. Either way I would put them in a box of some sort if you can because it will be easier to get them back down when you want them. (The other advantage to the floor of a closet is if you see another sale and want to add to them it's easier). And of course if your child doesn't for some reason like the foods you got, you can easily donate them to a homeless shelter or battered women's shelter or a food pantry of some type. As long as there are a couple of months left on the date they would love the donation (if you end up not using them because your baby doesn't want peas for example))

drsweetie
03-19-2004, 11:02 AM
I don't have an answer to your question, but do you know why your store is discontinuing this? Is it that the store has decided not to carry it anymore, or is Gerber going to stop producing the Tender Harvest line?

June Mommy
03-19-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm sure it's just my store...anything organic never lasts long! It's a small store in a small town. I'm pretty sure we are the only ones who buy the organic milk, the same cartons always seem to be there! I really hate shopping there, but it is the only grocery store in town!