PDA

View Full Version : Passover foods?

schuschein
03-17-2004, 11:07 PM
So Passover is coming up in a couple weeks, and now that Avi is eating all solid foods, we're wondering what to feed him and how to handle this at daycare.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but Av eats mostly vegetarian - he practically lives on veggie meat/chicken/soy products. Although he does eat yogurt, cheese, and fruit, he also eats cheerios, goldfish, Kix, and pasta - all things that he can't have during Pesach.

So does anyone have any suggestions or recipes to get us through this week?

Thanks for the help!

Lucia
03-18-2004, 07:48 AM
What a good post...it got me to start thinking about Passover also and how it will impact our family. I did a quick internet search and came up with a couple of sites with some interesting and kid-friendly recipes. Check out local markets for items that are kosher for Passover. Hopefully some other Jewish mamas on the board will have creative ideas!

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/feature/kidpassover1/kidpassover1.html

http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Passover/Passover.html

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/161/294

http://www.jewishfamily.com/lifestyles/food/thinking_about_passover.phtml

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

mcades
03-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Now that we're almost done eating our hamantashen... My kids also are mostly vegetarians, which makes it easier, especially given the Pesach 'problem'! :> I've purchased KFP cereals & have found that my kids are quite content to munch on matzah & matzah crackers.

Also, I have a yummy recipe for a carrot & sweet potato kugel that is really moist & tastes a lot like carrot cake. Happy to pass it along to anyone who's interested (nursing at the keyboard right now, however!).

This year, I anticipate that my toddler will hopefully at least taste 'matzah pizza' & find that tolerable, as he too subsists on pizza & pasta dishes!

Is soy KFP? I use liberal judgement for the kids come the holiday. Since my toddler is allergic to peanuts & eggs, we use 'soy butter' all of the time, so I figure he'll be eating matzah-soy butter sandwiches.

Eager to hear from more parents!

~Michelle
mom to Ari 6/01 & Noah 5/03

rrosen
03-18-2004, 08:53 AM
What about some of the passover pastas that are available now? They get better every year. Also, there is a cherios like passover cereal out too. I just don't remember what it is called.
One thing I saw this year that only a child could like was concord grape flavored matzoh! Yuck.

I also had to mention that Avi and Ari are my absolute favorite names. If we had a boy it we were going to name him Ari but, Avi was at the top of the list the whole time too. Maybe next time?

Good luck,
Rebecca
mom to Gabrielle 9/6/03

Lynnie
03-18-2004, 12:10 PM
...would love that recipe when you are free to type it in !

one year i made some sort of spinach matzoh brie with cheese thing (but i think it had eggs, so no good for your toddler...rats) and last year i made really good potato pancake type things, but with cottage cheese, and they were kosher for passover ... i will have to look for the recipes and post them.

Marissa
03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
"Hallacha"-ically speaking, I don't think he has to observe the Pesach dietary laws, because he's too young. (Just like he doesn't have to wear a yamulke, or fast on Yom Kippur) You could continue to feed him the cereal, if you want. I don't think it makes your home non-kosher, but you can check with your rabbi.

jamsmu
03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
I was thinking the same, but what is the "cut-off" or "cut-in" date?

mcades
03-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Here's the recipe for the carrot kugel. Using a food processor makes this so easy to make! Enjoy!
2 cups grated raw apples (approx 2 apples)
2 cups grated raw sweet potato (1 large)
2 cups grated raw carrots (~ 7 medium)
2 cups matzo meal
1 cup margerine (2 sticks), melted
3 eggs, beaten until foamy
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup scant sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 10" pan. Mix all ingredients together & pour into pan. Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Raise temp to 350. Remove foil. Bake 15 minutes.

Here's one for chocolate matzoh "candy bars" - yum!

Cover a baking pan with foil and parchment paper (I think I've used a brown grocery bag in a pinch). Line pan with matzoh (approx 4-6).
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips
slivered almonds (optional)

Melt & boil butter & sugar. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat. Pour over the matzoh. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven & immediately sprinkle on chocolate chips. They'll melt. Spread after 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle almonds on top. When cooled, break into chunks & enjoy.

~Michelle

Lynnie
03-20-2004, 12:30 PM
those sound delicious !!

thanks ... perhaps i should bake a kugel now, just to test it out and make sure it is delicious....:-)

my toddler loved the pumpkin bread i made at halloween (which tasted sortof like a carrot cake) so he should love this... if i let him have any, that is... ha ha

mcades
03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
What I love the most about this kugel is that 1) it's very moist, and 2) it doesn't taste like "Passover food"!! Enjoy!
Michelle

Kayla
03-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Actually, for those who are strictly observant, babies have to abide by the same rules as everyone else, unless there's a health issue, in which case you would need to consult your doctor and your rav. If your goldfish has to eat matzo meal, what makes you think you can be more lenient with your baby?

Not trying to judge anyone, just wanted to provide halachicly correct information for anyone who's interested.

We're waiting to start solid food until after Pesach (baby is four months old now) for this reason.

Piglet
03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Not quite true. Babies and the infirm can eat egg matzah, healthy adults should not. Babies can eat formula, even though it is kitniyot. Babies are not goldfish :)

Piglet
03-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Cut-off/in dates vary. My son does not wear a kippah and won't until he is old enough to "understand" why he wears one (generally accepted to be about 3 years old). He also gets milk before bed even if he had meat with dinner, again until he is about 3. He understands some things, but we are not forcing the issue on others. We keep strictly kosher, and we send food for him to his dayhome. We allow certain leniencies when the need arises, because he is too young to understand - leniencies, but not totally against the rules.

Back to the OP regarding Passover, DS loved gefilte fish (weird, I know), so that was easy. Last year, cheese was popular, as was matza (egg matza is easier to digest and totally allowed for kids). He didn't like matza brei, but other kids love it. Oh and he adored macaroons. He currently loves yogurt and apple sauce, so I will be buying that for him this year. There is a bunch of kosher for Passover baby food in the US - Beechnut makes lots of flavours (I'm in Canada, which makes it harder).

I know that it is a real challenge at Passover time, but you'll be surprised what kids like - some like matza all year round!

Have a Great Passover!

Kayla
03-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I stand somewhat corrected. What I meant was, babies have to eat kosher l'pesach, even though they're babies. Of course, everyone should go according to their own custom and rabbi. Wishing you a chag kosher v'sameach, piglet!

Piglet
03-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Wishing you a chag kasher v'sameach also! You are correct - when in doubt go according to your rabbi/custom. Generally speaking, kitniyot are less of a problem to have in the house, which is why formula is allowed - it is not chametz, just kitnoyot, as are peanuts and soy.

netne
03-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi Marina! We haven't met in person, but this is your husband's cousin's wife in Texas. (Stephanie Segal, Aaron's wife, mommy to Noah). I thought I might come across you on these boards one day, but from what I've heard about your collection I expected to find you in the stroller posts. :-)

I'd love to chat sometime! My email address is [email protected]

schuschein
03-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Lots of great replies - thanks! If anyone would like my recipe for a brownie cheesecake just let me know! I make it for Shabbat dinner every Pesach - it is Matzah free, low fat, and yummy!

Now here is another question - has anybody had quinoa on Pesach? I learned last year that it was declared K for P, but haven't tried it yet - anyone have any experiences with this?

Piglet
03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Stephanie!! Fancy meeting you here. CYE :)

Piglet
03-29-2004, 05:48 PM
I would love your cheesecake recipe. Sounds yummy.

I have never cooked with quinoa, but it is very much kosher for Passover (just read about it on the Star-K website www.star-k.org). I suspect you can find some recipes online. It seems to be all the rage for Passover this year!

Chag Pesach Kasher v'Sameach!

schuschein
03-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Brownie Cheesecake
From the April 1996 issue of Cooking Light Magazine

Just make sure your brownie mix and chocolate chips are Kosher for Passover. This is a rich, low fat dessert, and a perfect ending to a vegetarian/dairy dinner!

1 (10.25-ounce) package fudge brownie mix
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 (2 1/2-ounce) jar prune baby food
1 egg white
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
2 (8-ounce) blocks Neufchatel cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) block nonfat cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate mini-morsels

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Spread into bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes; let cool on a wire rack. Tear brownies into small pieces. Press half of pieces into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 300°. Place cottage cheese in a large bowl; beat at medium-high speed of a mixer until almost smooth. Add cream cheeses; beat until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt; beat well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate.

Pour half of cheese mixture into prepared pan; top with remaining brownie pieces. Pour remaining cheese mixture over brownie pieces. Bake at 300° for 40 minutes or until almost set. Turn oven off, and let cheesecake stand for 40 minutes in oven with door closed. Remove cheesecake from oven, and let cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 271 (30% from fat); FAT 9.1g (sat 5.3g, mono 0.6g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 9.6g; CARB 37.7g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 65mg; IRON 0.2mg; SODIUM 373mg; CALC 69mg;

mcades
03-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Oooh! This sounds yummy! I may make it for 2nd seder at a friend's house. Thanks!
~Michelle

mcades
04-06-2004, 04:58 PM
My DS lives on pizza, but today, day #1 of Passover, he tried & hated 'matzah pizza'. He's allergic to eggs, which limits our Passover food selection. Any suggestions for "bread & cheese" substitutes (you know, pizza, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, beans & rice with cheese -- all of his basic staples!)??

~Michelle

jd11365
04-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Kayla's first Matzo Ball
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4048.jpg
ETA: She only had the whole matzo for the picture...I cut it up right afterward...Just in case you thought I was nuts... ;)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

pritchettzoo
04-06-2004, 06:03 PM
What about using potatoes as a crust? Maybe hashbrowns or au gratin-type slices? No Passover nor toddler experience, just brainstorming!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

schuschein
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
I found lots of new types of Passover noodles - elbows, bowties, and one other shape (ziti? I can't recall). Tonight I made homemade Mac and cheese using the elbows (adding a little broccoli to sneak in those veggies!) and it tasted just like our regular mac and cheese. I've also seen Passover perogies and Passover pizza in our frozen food section. Hope this helps!

PS: How were everyone's seders? Anyone's little one actually make it through the entire meal?

emmiem
04-08-2004, 12:12 AM
What is everyone eating for breakfast during Passover? I have really missing my english muffins. I bought some KFP hot cereal and it went in the trash. Uck! The cereal is too sweet. Any ideas?
Michele

ismommy
04-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Bella did make it though the seder. A bit wiggly but sh did it. She also recited the 4 questions( with some help - I started she finished) And then kept saying them later on. It was really sweet though I wish her dada had been home to hear it as well as my parents.
Anyway it was a nice seder and it was so cool to hear Bella.

Helene
mommy to Isabella

momma_boo
04-08-2004, 10:26 AM
That's a GREAT picture.

Sarah enjoyed her matzo ball as well and the regular matzo.
Heck, she even ate gefilte fish (and liked it!). Although I honestly have no idea what is in gefilte fish and did wonder if it was ok for me to give it to her.

jd11365
04-08-2004, 09:48 PM
That reminds me of a funny joke.

A guy (who was not Jewish) asked another (who was Jewish) what gefilte fish was. So the Jewish guy replied, "Fish Balls". And the guy who wasn't Jewish said, "That must have been one big fish!"

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03