PDA

View Full Version : Introducing other milks...

calebsmama03
03-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Piggybacking on my post in the "ending pumping" thread -
I need to start introducing some other form of milk into Caleb's diet as I'm no longer able to pump enough to fill his bottles for the sitter's. I have no idea which to use or how to introduce it. I *think* he got a rash from cows milk but am not certain. We're seeing the doc tomorrow and hopefully will find out more. Aside from the rash, I have "issues" with cows milk - although I eat other dairy products and am not "vegetarian" per se, I think cow's milk is disgusting. Mainly the hormones/antibiotics issue but there's also something about it that just bothers me - not sure why. DH and I drink soy milk. Anyway, here are my questions:
1 - how did you introduce cow or soy milk to your baby?
2 - if soy, what kind do you use? Does it have all the nutritional necesseties or how do you make up for anything lacking?
3 - If allergy/sensitivity is NOT an issue, is cows milk preferable to soy for babies? If so, I'll just buy organic and deal with my own "issues" :)
Thanks!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

LoveMyBug
03-18-2004, 02:56 AM
How about goats milk?

It is the closest in compisition to human milk, and is less likely to have allergic reaction. Plus it has more nutrients than cow's milk.

COElizabeth
03-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Lynne,

I have read that unless a baby is allergic to cow's milk, that is preferable to soy. I have been buying organic milk for James, but unfortunately I can't get him to drink it, even with different flavor syrups, etc.!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02