PDA

View Full Version : Weaning to sippy cup...looking for a little support

ppshah
03-18-2004, 06:03 PM
DS just turned one and we are gradually weaning to the sippy cup. We started giving him the sippy cup at 9 month with juice/water. Until 11 months he would just play with it, bite it and chew on it. Then we started dropping bottles. For the past 2 weeks he's been getting just 1 bottle at bedtime. He's been taking about 10-12 oz / day with the sippy cup. Well as of last night we've put away the bottles. Will he pick up his intake with the sippy cup? He loves to eat- he pushes away the sippy cup and looks at the food.

I guess I'm just looking for a little reasurrance- I know we'll have a rough couple of days coming up- but do you think eventually he will get thirsty and realize the bottle is not coming back?

What have your experiences been with this?

Sometimes I think all this is much harder on us....

LD92599
03-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Purvi:

DS is just a tad older than your DS and we've also dropped all bottles...he was down to just one/day anyway. We're going through the same exact scenario...lower fluid intake! The ped said he wasn't concerned...! I'm sure hoping it'll pick up in the next few days...though wet dipes are still occuring anyway!

Curious to see what others have to share on this!

Laura
mom to William

aguinn
03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
you can do it! you can do it!

only advice i have is to just keep offering it to your DS. we had the opposite with our DS - he never really took to a bottle, so we (actually, my mother!) gave him the sippy at 4 months to see what he'd do and within two weeks we noticed he was actively drinking out of it. now he'll take a bottle every once in a while (we don't offer it to him as much, since i'm usually available to BF), but we give him water in the sippy and he's pretty happy with it. he hasn't had juice yet, and i haven't put formula in the sippy either - he really likes water!

good luck!
;)amy
proud momma to aidan

kfcboston
03-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Looks like others are in the same boat as us right now! That's really interesting about the lower fluid intake - that's what makes me nervous!! He has a bottle first thing, then I'll try to go sippy the rest of the day and he's just so pissy about it! Then if I cave at day's end and offer a bottle he'll chug down like 8-10 ounces! That makes me nervous. I'm worried about him not getting enough to drink, but I'd like to see somewhere that that's how this whole weaning thing works...........

ppshah
03-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, all the bottles have been packed for about a week. The first few days were filled with tantrums and a little crying at bedtime (< 5min ), but we stuck to it & now DS cries if we don't give him the sippy cup fast enough. Who knew? Just wanted to post in case other mommies were thinking of packing away the bottles. It can be done!!!

aguinn
03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
way to go!

amy ;)