PDA

View Full Version : microwaving bottle

junior
03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know if it is ok to heat up a bottle of pre-made formula in the microwave. I usually do this if it is a bottle of formula left over in the fridge and need to heat it up. I shake it really well and there are no hot pockets. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

JenCA
03-18-2004, 07:49 PM
I never, ever use the microwave to heat up anything I give to my DD (bottles, jarred food, etc.). The thought of potentially burning her just terrifies me. Instead, I use a Munchkin bottle warmer (just purchased last week). It works great for both bottles and jarred food.

Marisa6826
03-18-2004, 08:28 PM
You're really, really not supposed to do it. Thankfully Sophie will take a bottle regardless of temperature. But I have been known to put the bottle in for 15 seconds MAX (I have a very strong microwave) and then shake it really well just to take the chill off.

It's also not good idea to store milk overnight once your babe has drank from it. Which isn't to say I haven't done that as well ;)

Regardless of what you choose to do, just be very careful. My brother in law scalded his infant daughter very badly with a bottle that got too hot. Her arm is permanently scarred.

I can't help but think of that every time I use the microwave.

-m

ppshah
03-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I agree. I did use a microwave- but the more I think about it- the more I think it's a bad idea. I think a bottle warmer is a worthwhile investment.

ETA: the formula can be given cold if the baby is willing to take it that way.

Grace_underfire
03-19-2004, 01:18 AM
I have heard the same here and my ped mentioned this too. It can cause hot pockets that you can miss when you check the food. They say it is dangerous the munchkin food warmer sounds like a really good alternative. We just run hot water until we take the chill off any of the breastmilk that we have stored when I am away. It works and it saves me another appliace but when we move onto the baby food maybe I will think about the warmer.

vikivoly
03-19-2004, 03:46 PM
When DD was born I refused to use the microwave and wouldn't allow anyone else to microwave her bottle either. I used a bottle warmer. After being kind of "stuck" using the microwave a few times I soon realized that it was heating the bottles more consistantly than the bottle warmer. The bottle warmer would sometimes be scalding hot, other times be cold. It was safer, in my opinion, to put the bottle in the microwave for the exact same length of time, every time. I'll never use a stupid bottle warmer again!

tinkerbell1217
03-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Its not okay, of course that doesn't mean I never did it. My kids were born before the safety issue came up so we had no clue, but thankfully neither of my kids ever got a HOT spot or were burned in any way by food or bottles heated in the microwave. This time, however, I won't be doing it!

Kelly