PDA

View Full Version : stuffy nose

miki
03-18-2004, 08:51 PM
My baby has the beginnings of a cold. So far only a runny nose. If it turns stuffy, what do I do to unstuff so she can BF? I know it has to do with the bulb sucker thingy and saline but what exactly do you do?

ppshah
03-18-2004, 09:25 PM
You get some saline, then squirt it up the nose. It loosens things up.Then you use the bulb sunction to get the congestion out. Kind of like blowing their nose for them. The kiddos HATE it. I would try it right before feeds and before bedtime.

hth

ohiomom
03-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Try Euclyptus or basil essential oil on a bib and hang it on her all day. I got my euclyptus oil at Aveda, but also can buy at bath and body works, the body shop or other health food type stores. At night we run the vaporizer w/Vicks inhalent in it and put the bib between her jammies and sleep sack. Helps keep DD's nose clear when she has a cold.

Nicole's mom 7/30/03

jd11365
03-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Yup...the 'ol squirt and suck method...

Poor thing...maybe some Pediacare too? I've heard good things about it...

Hope she feels better soon!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Rachels
03-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Breastmilk in the nose works even better than saline. Also, elderberry syrup (also marketed as Sambucol) works wonders on colds in babies.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

SeekerMage
03-19-2004, 12:55 AM
seriously breastmilk? What does it do exactly....Lil'bit has a nasty cold...luckily its on the way out but for the future...how do you put it in etc?

dotgirl
03-19-2004, 02:15 AM
We just have one of us take a nice hot shower and get the bathroom all steamy. Then we have the other person come in with Riley for about 5 minutes or so - it never fails to loosen things right up. (He actually hates the saline thing so much that you can't hold him down to suction anything afterwards, so our ped suggested this.)

Jen in Chicago
03-19-2004, 10:33 AM
I nursed in a steamy bathroom a number of times. Nothing like sitting on the toilet and nursing (lid closed of course.) Jude threw up after the saline 3 times in a row, so we have never tried it again. We do have to pin him down to use the "Super Sucker." We would run a vaporizer and elevate his mattress when he was really congested.