PDA

View Full Version : Problem introducing cheese

deborah_r
03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Kai has had bits of cheese here and there, but I decided on Tuesday to make it his official new food for these four days. I've been giving him a medium cheddar, and it said it was OK for his age range on that list on www.wholesomebabyfood.com . Well, Tuesday he was fine, but last night and today he threw up a little and it was definitely to do with the cheese. It was very stinky and he hardly ever throws up/spits up.

Should I back off of cheese for a while?

jd11365
03-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Was it shredded? Maybe just a little shredded cheese...something mild like mozzerella... Is he eating it along with something else? Maybe if he's eating it with something else that you know he's ok with it won't be so much cheese alone and might not bother him... Just suggestions...you know I know as much as you do. ;)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

deborah_r
03-19-2004, 12:57 AM
It was just a snack of little cheese chunks. I wasn't sure about mozzarella - how sad is this? - it wasn't on that list so I thought maybe there was some reason not to give him mozzarella. Of course I did not research it any further from there...

Jamie: Since we are always sharing food stories:

Totally unrelated, but I am so excited, because he did so well feeding himself (and the dog) baked tofu cubes tonight, AND he let me give him some spoonfuls of peas, which is always a hard sell. He was better about peas for a while, then when he discovered there was other more tasty food, he isn't so into them.

And even more unrelated, DH let him taste some lingonberry mousse at IKEA on Saturday, and his eyes got real big and he was going "mmmm, mmmm"

jd11365
03-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Mmmm, mmmm is right...Kai's mama didn't raise no fool! ;)
And how exciting that he's feeding himself so well...I'm sure the dog is even more thrilled! ;) Our dog didn't like Kayla much...until she started feeding herself...lol.

Just curious about the peas...fresh, frozen, cannned? I so want to start canned veggies like the rest of us...my regular supermarket sells unsalted organic canned veggies in every kind for only .99 cents a can (much cheaper than at the health food store) but I'm still having issue about feeding food from a can... I think it's just ingrained (is that really a word?) in my head from when I was a kid...the aluminum or something not being good for you... But the convenience!

And finger foods makes life soooo much easier when trying to eat my own meal...keeps her busy for what seems like hours! Here she is double fisting it...she couldn't get it in fast enough...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3462.jpg

deborah_r
03-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Ugh, now I have to admit it - jarred, Earth's Best Peas & Brown Rice.
I've been doing well on "homemade" fruits, but not veggies - he never seems to like what I make. I need to expand his veggie list anyway, there are WAY more fruits than veggies that he has eaten!

Kayla's so cute...and she kept her bow clean!

jubilee
03-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Right now Logan's favorite food is cheese. He loves mozzarella and mild cheddar. I take string cheese and cut it up for him or small pea-sized blocks of cheddar. How does your baby do with other dairy, like yogurt? If he is sensitive to dairy it would show up in all dairy I think. I personally would try cheese again and see if he had another spit up.

amp
03-19-2004, 11:52 AM
We do shredded cheese all the time. It's generally a colby-jack cheese because that's what I usually have in the house, but he's had cheddar and mozzarella too. When he was getting over being sick he couldn't eat the cheese without gagging on it and then throwing up. At that point he wasn't throwing up anymore until he ate it, so maybe it was triggering his gag reflex more than usual or something.