PDA

View Full Version : When did you start solids? DS is 5 months and one week and thinking about it.

Grace_underfire
03-19-2004, 02:40 AM
For the last two weeks he has been nursing ALL THE TIME! Right now he has thrush which is supposed to if anything discourage him and yet he is nursing away all day long. Every hour or so! I am afraid that he is hungry and ready for solids. We wanted to wait until six months but I am starting to think he is ready now. My ped said it was ok to start at 4 months but did not preassure me to do so when I told him I was planning on six months instead.

What are your thoughts?

toomanystrollers
03-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Is he showing any other signs: trying to grab food from you, playing/holding baby spoons, etc. If you feel the time is right, start slowly with rice cereal - you shouldn't have to force the cereal into his mouth. He should "gobble" it up if he's truly ready to start.

FWIW, Neve started cereal right at 5 months after she stole my toast from me on several occasions.

Raidra
03-19-2004, 08:51 AM
We started at 4 months because he had been showing signs of readiness for at least a month. He reached towards our food, watched us eat, even mimicked our mouth motions as we were eating. He had also gained the right amount of weight, etc, etc.

It's going great.. he loves his cereals and pears (we'll start apples this weekend), and would gladly eat the whole box of cereal if I let him. ;)

You can always try it, and if it doesn't go well, wait another week or two. It's not an all or nothing type of thing.

Grace_underfire
03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Yah.... he is attacking us when we eat. If there is food in his reach he goes for it and follows our forks from plate to mouth ALL the time. He also opens his mouth when we do and when as a joke my DH brings food to his mouth he has to be careful because Jack leans fwd and grabs the spoon and tries to shove it in. :) I think we will try today and see how it goes. He was also two weeks late and I am sure 100% of my ovulation date so that almost puts him at 6 months :)