PDA

View Full Version : BF Twins - Comparing Pumps, Anyone tried the Nurture III?

PSALMWYCKOFF
03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
The BB Book says one reader suggested the Nurture III PE Pump ($115 from baileymed.com). Has anyone tried it? The book also mentions the pump by Whittlestone, but has not info on cost or reader reviews. I'm curious how these compare to Medela Pump In Style and Ameda's Purely Yours.

Expecting Twins, I'm planning on needing to pump to keep from breast feeding around the clock. I definately want a PE pump, but with all the other twin expenses...

Rachels
03-21-2004, 08:26 PM
If she doesn't see this post, you should email Susan (username Spu). She is breastfeeding her twin toddlers and can probably really help you. There are also some nursing moms of twins on the breastfeeding forums at www.mothering.com/discussions. I think it's great that you're going to nurse your babies! Thumbs up!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

twinmama
03-21-2004, 11:06 PM
I am still nursing 9 month old twins and based on my experience, I would recommend that you rent a pump before you purchase one.

I had planned on buying a PIS, so I rented a Medela Lactina for a month (it's basically the same thing as the PIS) and I HATED it. Some women just do not do well with electric pumps and I happen to be one of those women. It took me 20 minutes of pumping on both sides to get about 3 oz of milk. I ended up getting the Avent Isis and I love it! It's a much more comfortable pump for me.

I would wait until breast feeding is well established before trying bottle feeding. Also, with twins, I was soooo exhausted for the first four months that when I had a minute of free time, the last thing I wanted to do was pump. It was just much easier for me to nurse all the time (I was able to tandem nurse using a twin nursing pillow, which saved me so much time. We also co-slept until they were 5 months old, which saved my sanity! I realize co-sleeping is not for everyone, but it allowed me to get some much needed sleep).

If you don't already have it, I would recommend getting a copy of Mothering Multiples by Karen Kerkoff Gromada. I didn't read it until after my girls were born, but I wished I read it before!

Hopefully some of this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

--Lisa :)

sugarsnappea
03-22-2004, 09:34 AM
I have the Nurture and love it. But, it is not for everyone. It manually cycles, which means you have to control the cycle with your finger. The PIS features automatic cycling. The Nurture does a great job expressing milk, but some have a problem letting-down with it. I found this pump to be a great value, once I got over the learning curve. :)