PDA

View Full Version : DS won't eat cereal

ericajosh
03-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi again. When I started DS on food, I tried mashed bananas for a few days and he was an avid eater. Since I learned about how healthy the cereal is, I tried to offer it to DS (rice and oatmeal), but he'll hardly take more than a bite (which he often spits out). I've tried mixing it with fruit, bm, etc., but it doesn't seem to help.

Since he loved the bananas and sweet potatoes, should I just skip the cereal and continue with fruits/veggies? Should I go back to cereal later? Should I stop the fruit and just keep offering cereal with the hope that he might eat it?

Thanks, again, for the advice. :)
-Erica

stillplayswithbarbies
03-21-2004, 09:32 PM
I would skip it for now, but keep trying it every now and then. Logan usually refuses a new food the first time, but then it sometimes becomes her favorite later.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nathansmom
03-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Nathan has never eaten cereal. If a drop of it touches his mouth he will refuse all solids for the rest of the day. I tried mixing it with fruits or veggies he liked but nothing worked. I'd try again in a month or two but he just may not like cereal. Have you tried the stuff? I wouldn't want to eat it either, I tasted it and it wasn't the greatest tasting stuff.

deborah_r
03-22-2004, 05:39 PM
I think you should give it a break for a while, and maybe offer it every week or so and see if he is interested. Babies all seem to adjust to new textures and tastes at their own pace. My advice would be to not just assume he "doesn't like it" and give up, because their preferences change so much - he might love it in 3 weeks!

ericajosh
03-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I needed to hear you all say that it was ok to avoid the cereal for now (everyone I know swears by cereal). Gave DD his first apples yesterday and he ate the whole jar! Apples taste better than bland cereal :9 I'll go back to attempt cereal at some point as you suggested. Thanks. :)
-Erica

dueinmay
03-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Erica,
Just wanted to say that my DD was very similar -- but in her case, she would seal up her mouth for pretty much anything of that consistency (pureed fruits included). Once she was able to have cereal with more texture she would eat it (though now she vastly prefers finger foods). When your DS is ready (I don't know his age) and you want to try cereal again, Earth's Best makes some baby muesli (in jars, mixed w/ fruit) that DD actually likes. Also, Familia makes a dry muesli that has a bit more texture than regular baby cereal (though not really enough to interest DD). Both of these are carried at Whole Foods.

Rebecca
It's a girl! May '03