PDA

View Full Version : Comparison Chart DHA/ARA formulas + link to bottle feeding post

akc
03-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi all -

I've been on a formula thread but compiled this chart which I thought would be useful for everyone in the Feeding Baby category. Short story is that now that I'm on my second daughter and can't breastfeed b/c of a medication I take, I wanted to see if we could go to a generic/private-label formula vs. Similac Advance to save money.

Boy, did I learn a lot. End analysis:

1) There are a lot of good private-label (store-brand) formulas out there that are virtually the SAME as the brand names when you compare nutrients - see for yourself on the chart,

2) The brand names are ridiculously expensive b/c they use the "anxiety factor" to get you to avoid the store-brands,

3) CLIFF NOTES ON THE GOOD, BAD AND UGLY...(as you'll see on the chart, this assumes the largest size available, purchased from a warehouse store - this means powder b/c the prices only go UP when you go to RTF or Single servings).

WINNERS AT 47 CENTS/OZ!!!
Costco's Kirland Signature with DHA / ARA
Wal*Mart's Parent's Choice w/a Blend of Lipids
(NOTE: Parent's Choice is made by Wyeth, which also makes the DHA/ARA brand for Target, Healthy Baby but you'll have to check their nutrients and prices to be sure they are exactly the same.)

74 CENTS/OZ
Enfamil Lipil

84 CENTS/OZ
Similac Advance

88 CENTS/OZ
Carnation Good Start Supreme DHA / ARA

There are differences in consistency and the way they mix, so that is still a matter of personal preference as well as how you baby reacts to the formula (of course).

Finally, There are A LOT of new Moms who have come 'round since I joined the BB boards, so I thought I'd refer to an old thread that I started a thread back in Nov of '02 (oh boy, a long time ago) called THE BASICS OF BOTTLE FEEDING. (((EDIT: I moved the post and all its replies from Maternity Clothes where it had ended up with the boards were changed, to the Feeding Baby forum.)))

Well, here I am in Mar of '04, second DD newly arrived, and I echo my original thoughts: I REALLY felt that there needed to be good information and support for those bottlefeeding, for whatever reason. It's already a difficult position because of the large amounts of literature that encourages breastfeeding. We know the advantages of BF, but aren't always able to and shouldn't be left in a vacuum of info (or worse, criticism) because we need/choose to bottle feed. This isn't a rant, just a way to provide support - like we do all over here - for bottle feeding Moms. Here's my original post with some additions:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=86&topic_id=1716&mesg_id=1716&page=

OK, that's it for now. If you would like to do this comparison for the other types of formulas (Reg w/iron, soy, or stage 2), let me know b/c I have some of the information in Excel.

Hope this helps!
Alexa

Attachments:
HTML - the chart
JPEG - my girls: Since I've only had two DD for a a month, I can't help it...

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Alexa,
Your diaughters are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!
And you are always so on the ball...what a great chart, and your link for months and months ago I always thought was one of the best things I have ever gotten from these boards!!!!!

Many moms are "stuck" with expensive formula because that is what they stock up on or get a coupon for...they are paying for the campaigning and ads...I am thrilled that I didn't fall into that trap...

Thank you!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

caleymama
03-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Thank you for this informative post. I remember reading and re-reading your original post way back when. I thought your first DD's name was beautiful at the time and now the second one's is too! And they are cuties to boot. Congratulations! We nursed and bottle fed EBM sometimes and then eventually bottle fed formula and your post was helpful the entire time.

sntm
03-22-2004, 10:04 AM
glad you posted this! if you are going to formula feed, definitely start with the cheaper brands first.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Jen in Chicago
03-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Thank you! I feel better about our choice of the Kirkland Brand. No other Mothers I know buy it. The funny thing is, I used to think Carnation was "the cheap" for the named brands.

We have loved the Kirkland Brand. Jude actually drinks Kirkland at home, and Similac at daycare (daycare provides.) Mixing the two has never been an issue.

Just 2 more months for formula for us!