PDA

View Full Version : Feeling bad, guilty...should I wean her?

llcoddington
03-23-2004, 06:15 PM
I have been having lots of problems with my eyes for the past few years and since having Lauren they have worsened. Unfortunately, most of the medications my opthamologist would like to give me are not safe while breastfeeding. Specifically, I have developed dry eye and no amount of eye drops, lubricants, etc. are helping. Also, I have had recurrent bouts of eye inflammation. I can no longer wear my contacts and have to wear VERY strong glasses which give me headaches (very heavy despite the fact that they are the thinnest possible). I spoke with my doctor and she said I am still a candidate for laser surgery despite the dry eye. However, I would have to wait until after weaning Lauren to have the surgery. Basically, I have a choice: Keep nursing Lauren or stop and hopefully get some relief from my eye problems. (I am also wondering if breastfeeding could be making my eye problems worse.)

I planned on nursing Lauren for a year. I have had no problems nursing. The thought of quitting makes me sick.

Have any of you had to quit? I think I will feel guilty if I do quit because I think I could stick it out...some days are ok and some days my eyes hurt quite a lot and I don't think I can do this for 8 more months!

Is there such a huge difference for a baby if they are weaned at 6 months, 9 months, one year? I want to do what is best for Lauren!

Sorry this is so long! I've just been in a quandry about this!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Momof3Labs
03-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Lana, are you sure that the medications don't work with breastfeeding? Have a lactation consultant look them up in Hale's for you - or I can have a friend do it.

Also, is there any way to pump around the time of the laser surgery and then go back to bf'ing?

Maybe you've already explored these options, but thought that I would mention them!

lynettefrancois
03-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Lana, I'm in the same predicament except it's the never-ending thrush. Apparently I have the most resistant case ever, and if this second round of 30 days of diflucan doesn't get it, I'm going to have to throw in the towel on BFing (even though it would make me ill to give it up). After this next prescription, that will be THREE MONTHS of thrush (more than half DDs life). I've tried everything else. BUT the thrush is affecting our quality of life to the point that I think we would both be happier bottle fed if we can't get rid of it. I can't stay on diflucan forever, and so far it's just kept it annoying, but hasn't gotten rid of it. I agree with Lori- go talk to the LC (or two) about medications available before deciding, but try not to feel bad if BF just doesn't work for you.

Momof3Labs
03-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Lynette, have you tried gentian violet?

lynettefrancois
03-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh my gosh Lori! I am really trying hard, but it's too much to do for this long. yep.. gentian violet twice... Also GSE, Acidophilis, bifidus and nystatin for baby, vinegar washes, garlic, Newman's nipple ointment, bleaching/sterilizing everything. Cut sugar, even white bread. Starting the second round of 30 days of diflucan (after a huge fight with the insurance company, who didn't want to pay for more than one pill). Anything else I should try? I'm waiting for an email back from the Dr Gordon website on how to use the GSE topically. Sorry this post is all OT... I rented a pump today so we won't keep passing it back and forth. But I don't think the nystatin suspension is working on her anyway, so I don't know if it will help. The nystatin cream didn't do anything for me. I'm also taking lecithin because I've had 2 plugged ducts in the last 2 months and am afraid of mastitis (that would DEFINITELY be the end of BF since antibiotics started this in the first place). Plus both of us had a nasty virus that kept her from sucking well... I have an appointment with a new ped on Thursday for new ideas on this. On top of all this, all the medicine is giving me dry mouth and my teeth are all going to rot out at the root! Think I need a new post! ;) Any other ideas?

For the original poster, I guess you could say I'm being selfish if I quit BF, since I'd only be giving up my teeth and a year of boob comfort... :)

Rachels
03-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Poor you! Thrush is awful. We had to put BOTH Abigail and me on Diflucan to get it. Ask about that-- there's a liquid for babies. If you don't clear it up with her, she'll just give it right back to you.

For the OP, what are the meds? We can look them up for you. Hale's is the authority on what's safe, and most docs don't own a copy.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

wreckgirl1
03-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Lana,

I quit breastfeeding my daughter over a month ago when I had to have abdominal surgery. I talked to my surgeon, the hospital pharmacist, and my brother (who is a pro-BFing pediatrician!) about what I had in store and how long I would have to pump & dump if I didn't wean. (Aside - my daughter was actually the first person to realize there was something wrong with me. She started rejecting my milk in favor of formula (!) a couple of days before I had any pain and went to the doctor. When they sent me to the hospital and I pumped, it was _green_. I felt so bad that I had fed her any of that!)

As far as I knew at the beginning, I could have pumped and dumped for about 2 weeks then gone back to breastfeeding, but I just thought that would be too much for me after the surgery. I'm actually quite glad I did wean, because I ended up having a complication and was unable to eat for about a month (which, by the way, made the weaning on my end very easy, because I just was unable to produce!) and on BF unfriendly medication for 1-1/2 months. I was planning on BFing for a year, and ended up doing it for just over 5 months. I had no problems with BFing or supply before I weaned. Every once in a while I miss BFing - she was always so happy to see the breast and just doesn't sigh like she used to when eating. But I know that if I hadn't weaned I would probably still be low energy (even with IV feedings, I never felt good while not eating) and unable to keep up with her!

I'm not in your situation, but to me it is a question of whether it would be better for your baby for you to have a solution to your eye problems or to keep BFing. You didn't mention whether your problems affect your vision at all, but if it does, I think that weighs VERY HEAVILY toward getting it fixed ASAP. Also, if you are miserable all the time, not only will your little one pick up on that, but it affects your ability to care for your baby well. Just some things to think about.

But before getting too into the decision process, I'd get a second medical opinion about possible solutions for your eyes. And be sure to ask whether lactation itself is affecting your eyes (or your ability to have surgery) or if you will be on medication and that is why you can't BF.

Hope this helps.
Cynthia
Mommy to Julianna 9/7/2003

iluvmy2boys
03-24-2004, 12:47 AM
ITA - my son and I kept passing thrush back and forth because our first ped kept giving nystatin to him and I wasn't treating myself. When *I* got thrush and baby had it pretty severely, we were both put on a 2week course of diflucan (and yes, insurance paid for it!) and that's what cleared us up.

I found out that nystatin suspension has LOTS of sugar in it and well, thrush breeds on sugar!! ARGH!!

llcoddington
03-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. One of the possible medications is oral Tetracycline and the other is a prescription strength lubricant eye drop (not sure the name, will have to ask). I have already been on Tobradex (combo antiobiotic and steriod eye drop) and erythromicin eye ointment. I have decided to get a second opinion. The place where Tiger Woods had laser surgery is right around the corner from me, so that's where I will go!!! I do know that I cannot have the surgery until after weaning because hormones make the eyes unstable. I would have to wait until two periods after weaning. And no, my eye problems are not affecting my vision. Just uncomfortable and sometimes painful and annoying to wear big glasses! Very well could be that breastfeeding is making it all worse...

Thanks again and hopefully another doctor will have some advice for me! I really, really want to nurse Lauren for a year.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

lynettefrancois
03-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Lana- It wouldn't surprise me if the hormones are affecting you- I could tell my vision got worse after DD was born and went to the eye doctor, who confirmed it. Also my hair texture changed in some spots (from stick straight to downright frizzy), and I'm not even going to discuss what it's done "down there." I am willing to endure discomfort for the sake of BF, but PAIN for a year is just not worth it to me. I hate walking around stinging and wondering if I can ever leave the house again for more than a few hours (have to get back home to air the boobs out). I'm glad you're going for a second opinion- I really hope they can help you.

About that nystatin, I read that about the sugar! There's so much it even crystallizes around the cap. Plus with new strains, it supposedly only works in 50 some percent of cases. I read Diflucan works in 80 something. I am determined to get some diflucan for her too- my current ped refused, and the nurses were actually rude about me even suggesting it or inquiring as to why the doctor said no (it had been recommended by my pharmacist and it's in all the literature online!). So off to a new ped we go! Thanks for all your support.

Rachels
03-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Tetracycline is AAP approved for use while breastfeeding! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sirensrise
03-25-2004, 06:08 AM
>
>For the original poster, I guess you could say I'm being
>selfish if I quit BF, since I'd only be giving up my teeth and
>a year of boob comfort... :)
that's funny. sorry!
i had the thrush thing. probiotic works wonders. i think it matters which one you use. i get those pearl ones from iherb.com and was GREAT!i have also heard baking soda works. use a paste leave on boob for a few minutes as often as you can. i was too lazy to try it.

sirensrise
03-25-2004, 06:11 AM
(have to get back
>home to air the boobs out).
sorry, that is funny to me too.!

lynettefrancois
03-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Glad my boob airing gave you a chuckle... :)
Just got home from the NEW pediatrician today with a prescription for diflucan for DD. She's a great doctor and I'm thrilled! She's nearly retired... it's just like my husband says, "You want the same thing in doctors as pilots... the older the better, as long as they can still see and aren't senile!" :) Seems strange that the oldest dr in town knows the most current info. Can't wait to start the new medicine (the pharmacy had to order it). Thanks all!

MartiesMom2B
03-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Lynette:

I'm hoping everything clears up and that the both of you will finally be done with all that thrush!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

lynettefrancois
03-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks all! Hey Lana, keep us updated, ok? :)

mamicka
04-12-2004, 05:27 PM
I've just been thinking of you. How's it going?

bump.

Allison

llcoddington
04-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks for asking! I am still breastfeeding Lauren and taking it one day at a time! I decided to introduce the bottle (EBM) so that I could have the option of weaning Lauren, but have not had any luck in that area (she chews on the nipple, but refuses to suck!). So, I suppose that is a mixed blessing. Forces me to continue breastfeeding, but that is really what I want to do.

My eyes are doing a bit better. When we don't have to use forced air heat, I have better days. Less dry eye. I am trying to drink LOTS of water, thinking that might help. I did go on steroid eye drops for 4 days and may have to try that again. I am also trying to be less vain about wearing my glasses! This too shall pass, this too shall pass...

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

houseof3boys
04-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Have you given cutting out sugar a try? I had a very resistant case of it as well and was on 3 cycles of difflucan. I also used lotrimin on my nipples and made sure that Ryan was getting his medicine and acidophilus daily.

I hope that you get better Lynette! Hang in there. :)

houseof3boys
04-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Lana I don't have any advice except to tell you to hang in there!
I can imagine how stressful this whole thing is to you worrying about Lauren *and* your eyes. :) I have awful vision also so I can relate to that part. It takes them 2 weeks to make my lenses since they are special order to get them thin.

I hope you can stick it out as long as possible but don't feel guilty if you can't....you've done great!

lynettefrancois
04-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks! We have stopped the diflucan, but I'm not convinced it's gone. My nipples are sore, but then again, she's been pulling away a lot again (I think since I'm not so engorged anymore, and she gets impatient). DD has taken 2 oz of formula from a bottle a week ago, but none since (chewing on the nipple would be a great improvement over screaming at it... :) ). I bought a pump to see if "real" milk will help her transition to a bottle. I haven't received it yet, though, just ordered it the other day. After two months of reducing sugar, stuffing meds down DD's throat, spending hundreds in supplements for me, and general discomfort, I'm ok with quitting BF if it comes back- if I can get her to take a bottle. I'm going to at least try giving EBM for as long as I can, though. At least I don't feel like singing, "Burn, Baby, Burn! Booby inferno..." so much anymore! :)