PDA

View Full Version : Corn and SBF opinion

houseof3boys
03-23-2004, 11:26 PM
So I was reading Super Baby Food again today and noticed that it said corn could cause digestive issues and to wait until 18 months to give it. Really? In my emergency Earth's Best stash when I am too lazy to cook for Ryan, he loves the jars of corn!!! I also noticed some in the grocery store in the other brands today as well. What is the real deal with corn and why does SBF (which is normally very liberal) caution against it?

TIA

wreckgirl1
03-24-2004, 12:50 AM
No medical reason here, but I know corn is hard for lots of people to digest - kids and adults alike. Goes right through them undigested.

That being said, my MIL told me the first solid food they fed my husband was grits!

Cynthia

kelly ann
03-24-2004, 12:55 AM
We gave DS when he was youger corn from some organic jar - Sweet Potatoes and Corn mixed together. It didn't seem to hurt him. I thought it would stop him up, but he is the most "regular" kid around.

signsing
03-24-2004, 01:04 AM
It might be allergy related. The longer you wait the less likely they are to be allergic to it? My sister was allergic to corn as a child and it was a bear. Believe it or not corn is in everything!

Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

sntm
03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
that's what i would think but SBF doesn't pay attention to allergy recs. and the current rec for corn is after 10 months to a year.

and yup, corn is in everything! can't wait until jack gets corn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

houseof3boys
03-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Thus my confusion since she never seems to care about allergies in other recommendations!

Thanks Shan.

JennyLynn
03-24-2004, 04:39 PM
I have been reading "Mommy Made" instead of SBF and the authors really caution against corn due to its being one of the most common food allergies. Not only whole corn but the corn by-products that are used in many juices, baby foods, and baked goods (mainly corn syrup). I think they advise waiting until 1 year or later.

Jenny

hellokitty1
03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
On that note, DD never seems to have an adverse reaction to corn but when she eats whole kernels, it does go right through and comes out exactly the same in her poop as the way it went in. Is that a bad thing? Not to give TMI, but that happens to me too so I thought it was fairly normal.