PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused on the theory behind food allergies...

deborah_r
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
and delaying introduction of foods which are common allergens. I often see people post that they have given their child the food in question, perhaps before the age that some experts recommend, and they say there hasn't been any problem. Is it possible the allergy will surface later?

Let me try to explain what I mean a little better. I was trying to delay wheat until 10 months for Kai. But for whatever reasons, he ended up having it before then. He has not shown any symptoms of allergy. But could my too-early introduction have caused an allergy later in his life, even if I don't see any symptoms now?

kijip
03-24-2004, 05:52 PM
I think that you will be fine since Kai has not shown any signs of a reaction. I have never heard of a reaction starting later in lfe that was triggered by eating the food as a baby. But I am not a doctor. My understanding is that at a younger age a baby might not be able to handle certain foods- especially if allergies run in the family. Sometimes a childhood allergy is triggered but then the child grows out of it (common with dairy and soy). Sometimes the allergy is a life long threat (common with shell fish, peanuts, soy). My ped suggests waiting on fish, nuts, soy and some berries but is ok with wheat, eggs and tomatoes if the family is allergy free. Many people are told they are allergic to wheat when they are not.

christic
03-24-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm also confused about this because of the recent study indicating that early exposure to pets makes children LESS likely to have animal allergies later in life.

I don't understand how exposure to certain types of food can cause allergies while exposure to pet dander helps prevent allergies.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-24-2004, 09:32 PM
This article explains it:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

christic
03-24-2004, 10:56 PM
That article addresses not starting any solids until 6 months to prevent allergies in general, but it doesn't talk about the further delay of specific high allergenic foods, which was my understanding of what the poster was asking about. For example many people are delaying the introduction of peanut butter until 2 or 3 in order to prevent peanut allergies. I'm sure there's research to back up this decision, I've just never understood what it was. And because the exact opposite seems to be the case for pet allergies http://www.healthday.com/view.cfm?id=518007 I find it to be even more confusing!

mharling
03-25-2004, 12:42 AM
I agree. And yes, I'm confused too! Can anyone provide further information or clarification?

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

My2Peanuts
03-25-2004, 01:36 AM
I dont' know what the difference is but I can tell you from experience that it is true (at least for me). The more I was exposed to animals or flowers the intensity of my allergies were less. With food however, it just got worse as I got older but in some cases food allergeies may just disappear. I am allergic to seafood but not seafood in general (if that makes sense). I am allergic to the iodine in seafood and its almost impossible to get rid of it. I loved shellfish up until age 12 when my body just couldn't take it anymore and I suffered a pretty bad allergic reaction. Many people with asthma may be allergic to certain food but it also may be a specific "ingredient" in food that they are allergic to. That is why it is important to check for labels. There is a common yellow food dye (found in cake mixes, etc) that causes an asthmatic reaction. So you can react to one cake mix but not another. My son is currently allergic to dairy but he's not lactose intolerant. Apparently he's allergic to an enzyme commonly found in cow's milk. At first we thought he was lactose intolerant but we tried that milk and he just broke out in hives and threw up. His doctor said that food allergies in children may just miraculously disappear by age 2. It may be that their bodies are stronger and more developed to handle more types of food. She suggested that we get him a food allergy test (blood test) right after he hits 2 and it may be likley that he'll get over the milk allergy.

sntm
03-25-2004, 10:39 AM
you can develop allergies later on or the manifestations of an allergic reaction can get worse over time, though luckily for most infant allergies they get better.

to be honest, i don't know how to explain the pets/food allergy paradox. it may have something to do with how you are being exposed (ingestion vs contact.) it's on my list of things to look up when work slows down! but the research does support that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

McQ
03-25-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm right there with you Deborah. I checked out the wholesomebabyfood site yesterday and was like crap, I've given Declan 8, yep count 'em 8, of the most allergic food already. Granted I didn't even start giving him this stuff until he was at least six months old, but I've still given it to him. He's never had a problem with anything I've given him and we don't have a history of allergies in the family, but I felt like oops, bad mommy award here please.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

JElaineB
03-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm no immunologist, but a review I found mentions the difference between Type I and Type II immune responses. Maybe that has to do with the different methods of exposure?

Anyway, I could only obtain the abstract, but a review I found from last year seems to say that the onset of allergies is a complex area of study and it has not really been proven if what we are currently doing to prevent allergies is working.

Prescott, SL, Early origins of allergic disease: a review of processes and influences during early immune development, Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003 Apr;3(2):125-32
[link:www.co-allergy.com/pt/re/coallergy/abstract.00130832-200304000-00006.htm;jsessionid=Aiplvg2WxEWb4aWKmybf31Z4XSWWg chufr3WzQp74Q7ppcTvbxLZ!550819401|Link to Abstract]

From the abstract:
"Summary: Complex multifactorial genetic and environmental interactions make research in this area difficult and apparent associations with allergic disease may not be causal in nature. Many current targets for prevention, such as early allergen exposure and infant feeding practices, are proving to be ineffective and may not be directly implicated in rising rates of disease."

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sntm
03-25-2004, 11:02 AM
i;ll try to read the article later and summarize it
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

sntm
03-25-2004, 11:06 AM
no bad mommy award!!!! remember, a lot of this info wasn't even available until recently.

you live, you learn. no worries.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03