PDA

View Full Version : Backed-up Baby

murpheyblue
03-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Sorry if this is TMI but we recently started DD on solids -- rice cereal and a few fruits and veggies -- and the poor little angel is constipated. She is exclusively breastfed otherwise. We have tried giving her some water and diluted juice in a bottle and/or sippy cup but she has no interest whatsoever. I feel terrible for her. How can we get things moving again?

Ali
Megan 9-28-03

duein june2003
03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Rice cereal is very binding-- eliminate that from Megan's diet. Switch to oatmeal- add some prune juice, too. Also- no bananas. My son is on a stool softener prescription, too. Poor babies...
good luck!
Ruth, mom to Cole 5.21.03

aguinn
03-24-2004, 10:20 PM
i totally agree - it's the rice cereal! we had the same problem with DS... for some relief, try taking her temp rectally - that has been known to provide some relief!

good luck,
;)amy
proud momma to aidan

missym
03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Poor Megan! I can't rave enough about the wonders of prunes. Whenever Gwen gets constipated, we just mix half a jar of prunes in with her cereal or some other fruit, and presto!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

Lynnie
03-25-2004, 02:27 PM
if she won't take the prune juice, you could call your ped and see if she is old enough for a baby glycerin suppository - i guess that's along the same lines as the rectal thermometer idea. when my son had the same problem, and it was very bad, the neighbor went out and bought a box, but i was too concerned to use them. when i finally gave in and called the doctor to ask if it was ok, he said it was fine. and it worked like a charm, and the boy felt much better.

but, i don't remember what age he was, and would not want to recommend something (even if all the grandmothers in the world would say just go ahead and do it) without the person checking with their doctor.

good luck.

houseof3boys
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
I agree with the other responses on the rice cereal. We never used it because of this and started on barley and then switched to oatmeal. Mix the cereal with a little prune juice and I'm sure that will speed things along the same day!

When she is a little older, kale seems to be the same way!!! I have to cut back on how much I give him when I saw how much he pooped after eating the kale. :P