PDA

View Full Version : How to tell between BF poop and diarrhea...

Java
03-24-2004, 06:57 PM
I recently started DS on cereal and he seems to really like it. He's feed 1x a day (lunch) and he gets about 1 Tbsp mixed with BM. I've been checking him for allergic reactions and haven't seen anything unusual.

Except for his poop.

Pre-cereal he would poop probably 1x a day, a day and a half. Decent amount, mustardy in color. Now he's pooping 3-4 times a day, little loads and they are yellower in color.

So, how can I tell if he's having diarhea? I thought cereal was supposed to bind him up.

Am I totally paranoid about allergies or is this normal?

mharling
03-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Sounds normal to me. When Lane had diarrhea it was basically like water. And poop habits change very frequently; in frequency, consistency and color. As long as you haven't seen signs of an allergic reaction, it sounds like he's fine.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

toomanystrollers
03-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Sounds totally normal :) You'll know when it's diarrhea - believe me!

hez
03-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Agreed. Payton's diarrhea was pretty nasty last week, definitely different than the normal BF baby variable poop.

ericajosh
03-25-2004, 10:23 AM
I had the same experience. When I started DD on solids, I was told that it would be harder for him to poop, especially since he ate bananas and rice cereal his first week.

It was actually the opposite, it felt like every diaper change was a poop! I found it funny that my kid was the one who pooed all the time :) when he started solids. I figured, at least there's proof that he's eating and digesting.
Just one of those things that depends on the baby I guess.
-Erica