PDA

View Full Version : How much breast milk

mum1day
03-24-2004, 09:42 PM
For those who work and pump, how much should i expect DD to take from the bottle? I need to know how much to take to daycare, how do you figure this out? Also, I have 8 more weeks left before I have to go back to work, but when should I start my freezer stash?

TIA!

Natasha

Mum to Giuliana

stillplayswithbarbies
03-25-2004, 12:10 AM
You should start building up a stash now. It's so much easier to pump when you don't have to stress about getting enough milk for the next day, knowing you have some in the freezer if you have an off day.

My baby was 4 months old when I went back to the office and I sent 3 bottles of 6 oz and one bottle of 4 oz to last her from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

My2Peanuts
03-25-2004, 01:45 AM
I'd start pumping now!

If you want to know how much to take to daycare just make a note of how much your baby eats from the time you would drop her off to when you'd pick her up. If you also want to know how much she'll eat during a feeding, I suggest you pump and find out (that's the only way). My son eats 5-6 ounces about every 4 hours. Also check to see if they'll let you store some frozen breastmilk just in case she decides she's very hungry one day. My son's daycare lets us do that.

hez
03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Yup-- pump now for the stash. You'll be so glad you did!

We had bottle issues that we thankfully discovered before I started back. As a result, DS wasn't very good at taking more than 2-3 oz. at a time from a bottle when he was first at the sitter's. So, to save my sanity and the sitter's, I sent a bag of frozen EBM to sit in her freezer (we've never had to use it), and five or six 3 oz. bottles per day at the start. He'd take anywhere from 9 to 15 oz. per day-- he's maxed out at 18 oz. in a day. We gradually worked our way up in how much he'd consume per feeding, and now I make sure he has four 5 oz. bottles available per day. We've tried 6 oz, but he leaves an ounce, so why waste it? He usually only takes three of the bottles, but I feel better if he's got an extra one ready to go if he might have a super hungry day.

Somewhere online there's a calculator that estimates the baby's intake based on weight, and then you divide the total ounces by the # of feedings the baby normally takes & that gives you a good feel for how much the baby takes at a single feeding. If I have time I'll look for it, or you might find it by doing a search-- it's been posted here before.

Good job being prepared!

ericajosh
03-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Definitely start a freezer stash now. I believe the milk will last for 3 mo. in the freezer (I would double check this). It just makes you worry less to know that there is extra milk.

Regarding the amount, I am a SAHM, but occassionally my husband would give a bottle so I could run errands or take a break. I would suggest trying a few bottle feedings before you go back to work to see how much your DD takes at each feeding. That way, when you pump, you will have a better idea of how much you need.

Now, at 7 mo., DS is taking almost 9 oz, but before he would take around 6 oz. However, my friend's DD took 4 oz.

HelenD
03-25-2004, 10:33 AM
As always, you can find it on www.kellymom.com : >

Here's the link -

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

That's a VERY helpful site full of all kinds of great information (and calculators) for the breastfeeding mom.

Start pumping now and also, start introducing your DC to EBM via the bottle. You'll want to have someone else you trust do the bottle introduction (if you haven't already) since, in my personal experience, DD knew if she held out, she'd get the real thing. It really helps a lot to have someone else introduce the bottle and for you to be out of the room (or house) while it's being done. And be prepared to try several different bottles before DC finds one that suits.

Good luck!

Helen