PDA

View Full Version : Not nursing for a day will affect milk supply?

younhiekim
03-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi,
I'm a lurker, but I really need some input. I need to go away from DD (16 months old) this weekend for a family emergency. The thing is, she's still nursing, although definitely not as much as when she was an infant. However, she nurses at least 3-4 times at night and 2-3 times during the day (although the day feedings tend to be for comfort). I wanted to know whether or not being away from her for 30 hours or so will affect my milk supply? Will I need to bring a pump to maintain my supply? Since I won't be gone for too long, I'd rather be able to go w/o a pump, since I'll be flying.

TIA!
-- YounHie

Momof3Labs
03-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Personally, I'd still bring a pump since you could run into flight problems and be gone a lot longer than 30 hours. But you might not need the pump at all. I'm not sure though - my 18 month old only nurses 2x a day, not 5-7x a day, so maybe you will get engorged and want the pump with you.

lmintzer
03-24-2004, 11:45 PM
If you don't want to drag a large pump, what about a small good hand pump like the Avent Isis? I have friends who have used this as their only pump and have found it quite good.

Rachels
03-24-2004, 11:45 PM
I agree-- I'd take the pump. You could take an Isis if you don't want to lug something heavy. But it will take more than a day away from your toddler to do serious damage to your milk supply. You should be okay.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ericajosh
03-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I would bring the pump. Not sure about a 16 month old, as DS is 7 mo. , but when we went away for the day, my milk still came in like clockwork, full force. It became quite uncomfortable for me, it was a comfort/engorgement issue to bring my pump, rather than a supply issue. The times I've gone and haven't had the pump, I wished I had brought it.
-Erica

momma_boo
03-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I'd suggest you take a handpump with you. Just for your own comfort. You'll probably get quite engorged being away from her.

nitaghei
03-25-2004, 11:14 AM
If she's nursing that often, definitely take something like an ISIS, to relieve engorgement.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Chelsey333
03-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I would definitely take the pump. Not only for your milk supply, but you might get a painful blocked duct. That milk needs to be released. I got a blocked duct when my son was 2 1/2 mos old, and I feel like I got it bec I skipped a nursing session one night to babysit my nephews. I came home and was really sore. By the next morning I was in a ton of pain. I ended up needing medicine to clear it up.

younhiekim
03-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Wow,
Thanks everyone! I'll take a pump; I've had a plugged duct before, and I don't want to go through that again!

Again, thanks!!!
-- YounHie