PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your Ameda breast pump?

CBB
03-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I have the Ameda Purely Yours. I was wondering if you have to wash and boil the horn everytime you use it. I remember reading one of the post before that you can store the horn and bottle in the fridge and continue to pump next time. I can't seem to find that post again. How often do you clean and boil the horn? Is it okay to store it in the fridge after several uses and clean it at the end of the day, or few times a week?

TIA,

chlobo
03-24-2004, 10:02 PM
I usually wash my horns once a day in hot soapy water. I only boil them about once a month but I might be in the minority.

I've also put a horn in the fridge and then used it later. I've heard its ok to do that.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-25-2004, 12:07 AM
I put it in the fridge and then wash it once at the end of the day. I don't boil it, except the first time when I got it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

CBB
03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Do you wash it with soap and water then airdry or in dishwasher?

Thanks

stillplayswithbarbies
03-25-2004, 01:46 PM
I wash with soap and water. Once in awhile I put the horns in the dishwasher but not the other pieces. The heat will ruin the white valves.

I have never washed the tubing.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

c2lane
03-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Never thought of leaving the horns on during the day. Guess because I only pump once a day right now BUT this could be handy when I go back to work. Although I don't know if I want to leave something like that sitting out in our fridge in the office. Hmmmm....

As for washing, I wash mine with dish soap & water after I use and let air dry. I put the horns in the dishwasher every couple of days too.

~Carrie
mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04

c2lane
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Karen,

This is completely OT but I wanted to let you know if we have another girl, we plan on naming her Logan Elizabeth. Love that name for a girl!

I was wondering when you tell people her name do they think she's a boy? I've gotten this reaction quite a bit with Dillan, even when she's dressed in pink!

~Carrie
mommy to Dillan Rose 01/02/04

stillplayswithbarbies
03-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Logan has always had a good bit of hair, so she hasn't been taken for a boy in person much. When I talk about her, I do say "my daughter, Logan" because otherwise people will assume a boy due to the name.

My mom said "the first girl born in our family in 35 years and you had to give her a boy's name". :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ohiomom
03-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I have 2 sets of horns. I boiled the first time I used them. I clean with dishsoap at work and dry with clean paper towels so I can reassemble everything for next pump session. I usually run through dishwasher on the weekend, but not always (not valves or soft rubbery pieces on top that the tubing snaps into). I do have the medela microwave sterilizing bags and have used them some. Valves and rubbery parts can go in the bag. I've gotten rather lazy with that lately. I also have the medela sterilizing wipes that worked well when travelling.

I've pumped and refrigerated the whole set up on occasion, but don't have room to do that at work. That worked well when travelling for business and having to pump every feeding --especially at night. I'd only do that for 2 consecutive pumps and then clean it.

Having a 2nd set of horns is really helpful if you need to pump at home and at work.

Nicole's mom
7/30/03