PDA

View Full Version : Nii\ght nursing positioning question

quikeye
03-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi all, I had a question about nursing while lying down & positioning-- Kai has been co-sleeping w/ us since about birth (took him to bed to get some sleep, & I love it-- he sleeps better @ night than during the day!) and we also bf on demand, including @ night. (He'll have his early hunger signals while he's still asleep, & I can usu. nurse him in a pretty drowsy state so he'll go back to sleep right away).

My question-- I've read that nursing when baby is in a vertical position can lead to ear infections/milk running into ear, and I've been having him positioned in the crook of my arm when lying down to nurse lately. However, it seems he has a harder time sleeping like this (he'll fall asleep nursing & I move my arm when he's done, so it's taking longer & has been more difficult to get him to sleep), and I was having good luck with nursing him while he was just lying next to me & not "upright" in my arm.

I don't really mind having him in the crook of my arm when nursing side by side, but I'd like to know that it's not harmful/will increase the liklihood of ear infections if we don't? He's just 2 mos. old if it makes a difference, & has had no medical problems or ear infections yet. Thanks in advance!

(one handed typing & nak)

ericajosh
03-25-2004, 10:56 PM
I would suggest placing a burp cloth under you and the baby. That way any excess milk will be absorbed, if you are worried. I have been nursing DS in bed and at 7 mo. he hasn't had one ear infection or health problem. Never heard of that before, but perhaps a burp cloth would calm you fears? Hope that helps. BTW, a LC who I used strongly suggested the laying down position, and never mentioned any potential ear infections due to the position. I say do what works for you. :)

Rachels
03-25-2004, 11:17 PM
We always nursed side-lying at night with no props at all, and Abby didn't have any ear infections in infancy. Milk dripped in the ears actually helps heal infections. I wouldn't worry.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sparkeze
03-26-2004, 05:06 AM
Same here, the vertical position thing is more of a concern if 1. baby is consuming something other than BM, 2. already prone to ear infections.

Some BF babies get ear infections, but they probably would've had them more often if they weren't BF. It's fine to have your baby's head right on the mattress as long as you can still get a good latch.

quikeye
03-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the reassurance-- we do nurse both ways, but for some reason sometimes he can latch on more easily when he's laying on the mattress and not in my arm, and I feel better knowing that it's okay both ways. Thanks again! :)