PDA

View Full Version : 10 month old - How many times to offer solids per day?

deborah_r
03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm wondering for those of you who ahve a baby around 10 mos. or if you remember how much your baby was eating then - it seems I am offering my baby much less solid food than a lot of moms in my playgroup. I didn't want to interfere with his breastmilk intake. I do breakfast and dinner, and just added lunch this week. But he really seems like he can do without just about any of those meals any given day...

sign me "confused"

ppshah
03-25-2004, 07:17 PM
I think that sounds just about right. I think we were doing 3 meals a day with 4 bottles.

The key is to gradually replace milk with solids. The pace this happens will vary from child to child.

hth

stillplayswithbarbies
03-25-2004, 08:37 PM
that's what we did. We just started her third meal of the day this week, and she just turned 1 today.

There were some days that she didn't get any solids at all and she was fine with that.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jd11365
03-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Kayla's a little piggy... Her food schedule...less the actual times and some day to day variation between nursing and snacks is below... As long as Kai has plenty of poops and pees and is gaining weight, I wouldn't worry the least bit. Kayla went from not being interested in food and 2 meals a day to 3 meals w/ snacks in like what seemed to be a week! Now she will eat anything we give her and we pretty much give her anything anymore to try...healthy of course ...(well except for that lick of chocolate ice cream...she was staring at me as I was eating it and I couldn't help it!)

wake up
nurse
breakfast
nap
lunch
nurse
nap
snack
dinner
nurse
bedtime

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

houseof3boys
03-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Ryan is almost 10 months Deb and he is doing bfast, late lunch and dinner now. He still bf's around 7-8 times a day/night too. He is a skinny boy, so I'm thinking of adding "super snacks" too since I think he could eat them. I just think follow Kai's cues and see if you think he is hungry or if he's fine with your current schedule. You have plenty of time to get him up to 3 meals a day.

Stop comparing to the other mommies in playgroup!!!! In mine, they were starting solids at 3-4 months and most that breastfed have weened except me!

bluej
03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Ryden gets 2-3 meals a day. He likes food, but he likes BF more, so he doesn't get too upset if he doesn't get a 'solid' lunch. So far on the days that he does have lunch, it doesn't seem to cut down the BF at all.

wagner36
03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Oh, we're even more behind, I guess. DS is also 10 months and gets one meal a day (dinner), and maybe a snack. And, to be honest, there are occasional days where he doesn't get any solids at all. His breastmilk intake has decreased lately too (I pump at work), but he gained a pound in the last month (between his 9 month appointment and a follow-up visit earlier this week).

missliss55
03-25-2004, 11:54 PM
When DD was 10 months old we were doing 3 meals a day with an afternoon snack. She bf's with each meal, snack and before bedtime.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

deborah_r
03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
>Stop comparing to the other mommies in playgroup!!!! In
>mine, they were starting solids at 3-4 months and most that
>breastfed have weened except me!

I know, I know!!! I just casually mentioned that I had just added lunch to his rotation (because we were at a restaurant, eating lunch, after playgroup) and they both said that "every feeding book" they had ever seen said babies should be eating 5 times per day by 9 months old (3 meals and 2 snacks) Well, I feel like if I do that, he's going to take much less breastmilk and that worries me. I've been thinking of the solids as more recreational and educational, to get him used to eating and used to textures, etc., but I don't feel like he takes in enough solids (nor do I think he is capable of taking in enough solids) to meet his nutritional requirements, so I want him to get mostly BM right now. But I thought maybe I was missing something, which is why I came to you all to ask!

Thanks for feedback everyone!

sntm
03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
deborah, jack is about the same. he gets breakfast at daycare and dinner at home. we just started a "snack" size lunch, mostly because all the babies in the older infant room that he just moved to eat lunch so i wanted him to have something to do when sitting at the table with everyone. there are definitely days that he gets much less.

you are doing exactly the right thing!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

bluej
03-26-2004, 10:11 AM
I agree with you about food being for learning and recreation during this time in the babies life. I think you are on the right track. However, I should mention, other than looking up when a baby can eat what, I don't read baby books. It's still recommended that the majority of baby's nourishment be from formula or breastmilk for the first 12 months right? Somebody tell me if this has changed LOL!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-26-2004, 11:01 AM
yes baby's nourishment should be from breastmilk or formula for the first 12 months.

When "the books" say 3 meals and 2 snacks, they mean that some of those snacks and meals are breastmilk or formula.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03